RC2 & ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a clean copy of RC2 on my laptop that has a Mobility Radeon 7500 vid card.  When I originally installed RC1 I was able to get the proper driver from Windows Update, but not with RC2.  I've tried to update from Standard VGA several times, but Vista thinks that I already have the best driver (and maybe I do).  Unfortunately, I don't have Sleep mode now (just hibernate) and the Power Management options don't seem to work as well now without the ATI driver.

Any ideas?
    Monday, October 9, 2006 3:52 PM

All replies

• I'm having exactly the same problem - it's not just you!  I've tried manual updates and everything I can think of...RC2 simply doesn't recognize that this is an ATI video chip, so I'm guessing not much can be done until another version of Vista or the ATI drivers are released...
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:31 PM
  • I had the same issue on one of my laptops. Solution was to install the Omega XP drivers and it works a treat.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php will sort ya out until MS have updated Vista drivers on WU.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:53 PM
  • i have a major problem... i had to reformat my laptop, which has the Mobility Radeon 7500 card in it, due to visus problems but when i reinstalled windows and went to update my display driver it siad that i need to install the standard VGA drivers first o_O. but unfortunatly i dont have the origanal standard driver. i just dont know know where it is and i dont know where to get another one. can someone please help me! i've been trying to figure it out for months.........

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 6:25 PM
  • The Standard VGA driver is the one that "should" be installed by default by Vista.  You can always try uninstalling the existing display driver and reboot the laptop.  That way Vista will reinstall the Standard VGA drivers.
    Thursday, November 9, 2006 2:02 AM
  • Hi there,

ive tried several drivers. Original ATI has disabled support for mobile radeon 7500, so ive tried omega drivers from http://www.guru3d.com . The newest driver is-catalyst 6.5 (higher versions doesnt support m. r. 7500), but it made a BSOD when the system was restarted, or when it came to sleep. Version whitch seems to work properly is omega 2687 (catalyst 5.7 i think). But my notebook compaq n800v has still problems with playing video in media player (sometimes shuts down) and media center (doesnt work). I was thinking about get some original microsoft drivers from XP (windowsupdate), but i didnt have a time ;).

Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:55 PM
  • I finally got around to trying out those Catalyst drivers.  NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!  I don't know about anyone else's laptop, but my poor Thinkpad T42 did not like those drivers! 

Performance was sluggish and the drivers nearly impossible to uninstall.  If you have problems, you can download the XP drivers that I'm currently using from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-41918.  According to Device Manager, this is version 6.14.10.6546 from ATI Technologies Inc.

Monday, November 13, 2006 6:27 AM
  • I also tried theese IBM drivers on my n800v - not pleasant experience also.. BSOD on every directX request (like run a directX screensaver ;)

so the conclusion is when u have compaq n800v, use omega (catalyst 5.7) and when u have IBM, use theese lenovo drivers

Monday, November 20, 2006 4:59 PM