back up problems with windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having difficulties with backing my files up to 1T WD external hard drive using this version of windows 7 x 64 bit.

Like many others, windows is performing a full backup each time instead of just adding new and/or modified files and folders etc.

Also, it is skipping some important files which I cant backup and also my files and folders are not showing up in WD hard drive!

This is frustrating and very time consuming, it is taking around 3 hours to do what should be a simple backup and I have been at this now for two days.

I am getting nowhere with this despite choosing files myself instead of letting windows choose.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this issue please.

Thank you in advance for your input!

James

James Garrett

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:06 PM

Answers

• The following advice may not help regarding making your backups incremental or complete more quickly, but...

If your intent is to be able to do a full restore on a complete loss of data, I suggest you uncheck all the items in the upper section and check the [  ] Include a system image... box down below to have Windows do complete System Image backups.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:26 PM Added some spacing
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please understand that backup function was designed as first backup always full and subsequent backups are incremental.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/10/31/learn-more-about-system-image-backup.aspx

Regarding this issue, let us increase the VSS space Usage percentage on the Backup disk.

Adjust the amount of space used by Volume Shadow Copy
    ================================================
    1. Click the Start button->All Programs->Accessories.
    2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".
    3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.
    4. Type the following command and press Enter:

Vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /For=C: /MaxSize=20GB

(Note: This number is just an example. Use as much as you want, the maximum number of the MaxSize is 15% of the partition space).

Meanwhile, this issue can also occur if you back up a library that contains custom folders that are located under your user profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281

Best regards,

Della Li

• Edited by Della Li Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:19 AM
  • The following advice may not help regarding making your backups incremental or complete more quickly, but...

If your intent is to be able to do a full restore on a complete loss of data, I suggest you uncheck all the items in the upper section and check the [  ] Include a system image... box down below to have Windows do complete System Image backups.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:26 PM Added some spacing
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:23 PM