none
Hyper-V Vlan clarification

Question

• Hi all

So I got this crazy thought in my head that there should be a way to have a team of NICs coming into my server, and then have multiple servers from multiple VLANs all share one big fat pipeline.

So I got into my switches and configured an LACP connection (took some doing... I am not a fan of the way Brocade does tagging), then got on the server and set up an LACP team.  After some messing with the switch end of things, it eventually worked and both lines came up.

this then gives me an untagged/native virtual interface... but I can't seem to get it to do much.
    The initial blog that I tried to follow implied that you add an Interface for each Vlan you want, and then in the HyperV switch manager you assign 1 vSwitch to each of these vInterfaces, and then connect your VMs to whichever switch has the vlan you want.

Well, this all fell apart rather quickly. I could set up an Interface (say for the High School VLAN), and share the connection with the host, and all is well (really no different from when it was a normal switch-independent team setup).  But my host is located at the elementary school, so I tagged the vlan for the host share as the ES vlan... and nothing.  I am assuming the packets are tagges for the ES vlan, but the vSwitch itself is on the HS vlan, so the packets are getting dropped?

So that's all fine, I made an ES interface, and an ES switch, and shared that with the host.  This sort-of works.  The host can get to the internet, but it views the connection as private rather than the domain.  This means that I can't get to network resources, and cannot manage it from my other hyper-V servers.  Plus, while it does get internet... something is really not right.  a google search will pop up right away; but if I click on a link to go through to a site it does not load the page.  If I give it a site like "technet.com" it will resolve to the right full address... but again, the page does not load.

Any thoughts?  Could this be an LACP issue?

Thursday, February 23, 2017 11:55 PM

Answers

• Just as soon as I posted this I figured out the root of my issue:  those silly Brocade switches!

On a Cisco network the default native vlan for a trunk is effectively '0'.  This is because a trunk only carries data for other links, so there is no traffic on 'vlan1' or the native vlan.  This is why you set the vlan to 0 on the server.  Not because the vlan is '0' but because the vlan information is empty.

But on Brocade there is no real such thing as a trunk port in that same way.  Instead you have 'dual mode' ports which can carry both tagged and untagged traffic... but the untagged traffic is itself tagged, but with the tag of your native vlan.  This is all sorts of confusing and annoying.

At any rate here is the fix if anyone else runs into this issue:
    1) On the server right click on your physical ethernet ports, and select properties.
    2) In propertied select 'configure'
    3) On the configure window select the 'Advanced' tab
    4) Scroll down to 'VLAN'
    5) Enter in the number for your native vlan (in my case it ended up being a random number instead of default)

After that was done everything came together swimmingly and is working smooth as butter just like all of the walkthroughs online said they would.  I can only hope that this helps some other poor soul stuck on Brocade hardware in the future.  I shoud now have the freedom to move VMs to any physical host on the network without needing to worry about what building it is physically located in, or needing to worry about juggling vlans on Ethernet ports.

• Marked as answer by CaedenV Friday, February 24, 2017 12:21 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 12:21 AM

All replies

• Just as soon as I posted this I figured out the root of my issue:  those silly Brocade switches!

On a Cisco network the default native vlan for a trunk is effectively '0'.  This is because a trunk only carries data for other links, so there is no traffic on 'vlan1' or the native vlan.  This is why you set the vlan to 0 on the server.  Not because the vlan is '0' but because the vlan information is empty.

But on Brocade there is no real such thing as a trunk port in that same way.  Instead you have 'dual mode' ports which can carry both tagged and untagged traffic... but the untagged traffic is itself tagged, but with the tag of your native vlan.  This is all sorts of confusing and annoying.

At any rate here is the fix if anyone else runs into this issue:
    1) On the server right click on your physical ethernet ports, and select properties.
    2) In propertied select 'configure'
    3) On the configure window select the 'Advanced' tab
    4) Scroll down to 'VLAN'
    5) Enter in the number for your native vlan (in my case it ended up being a random number instead of default)

After that was done everything came together swimmingly and is working smooth as butter just like all of the walkthroughs online said they would.  I can only hope that this helps some other poor soul stuck on Brocade hardware in the future.  I shoud now have the freedom to move VMs to any physical host on the network without needing to worry about what building it is physically located in, or needing to worry about juggling vlans on Ethernet ports.

• Marked as answer by CaedenV Friday, February 24, 2017 12:21 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 12:21 AM
  • Hi CaedenV,

Glad to hear the issue has been solved.

Also thanks for sharing your information.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 1:56 AM