Removing specific messages from your with Powershell command: RRS feed

• Question

• I have more than 320.000 spam mail in info@xx.com , i want to delete the mails which have "junk" in subject keyword with powershell command.
    How shell i correct the following command;
    Powershell command:
     Get-Message -Filter {FromAddress -like "info@xxx.com"}  -SubjectKeywords "junk" -Deletecontent -confirm:$false 

Salih Hanifeoglu Best Regards

Monday, December 5, 2011 9:11 PM

Answers

• Sorry I missed that the Export-mailbox cmdlet requires the -targetmailbox and targetfolder parameters. This means it takes a copy of the deleted items and places them into the target mailbox, etc. You can create a tmp mailbox for this and then drop it after you have confirmed you deleted the right content.

Get-Mailbox -Identity INFOUSERNAME | Export-Mailbox -TargetMailbox TmpMailbox -TargetFolder Junk -SubjectKeywords “junk” -DeleteContent -Confirm:$false

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, December 12, 2011 2:39 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Hi

I think you can try -ContentKeywords "junk" instead of -SubjectKeywords "junk", because it select the Keyword in the subject which contents "junk", such as "juck mail","Mail junk"

The command should be :

Get-Mailbox -Identity info | Export-Mailbox -ContentKey words "junk" -TargetMailbox info@xxx.com -TargetFolder "Junk" -DeleteContent

Dont forget create a new folder in OWA or outlook called "Juck", Sean's suggestion is quite correct. After running the command, you can delete them from the folder you created.

Cheers

Zi Feng

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So can you confirm that info@xxx.com is a mailbox inside your Exchange org? If this is correct then get the username for the info mailbox and try this: -

Get-Mailbox -Identity INFOUSERNAME | Add-MailboxPermission -User YOURUSERNAME -AccessRights Fullaccess -InheritanceType all
    Get-Mailbox -Identity INFOUSERNAME | Export-Mailbox -SubjectKeywords “junk” -DeleteContent -Confirm:$false

As always test code provided somewhere safe first.

Monday, December 5, 2011 10:49 PM
  • hi thank you  Mr.Sean;

run to code return this error

Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to copy messages to the

destination mailbox store with error: 

full error code:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Identity info | Export-Mailbox -SubjectKey

words "junk" -DeleteContent -Confirm:$false

Export-Mailbox : Error was found for Info (info@xxx.com) because:

Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to copy messages to the destin

ation mailbox store with error:

MAPI or an unspecified service provider.

ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164

At line:1 char:44

+ Get-Mailbox -Identity info | Export-Mailbox <<<<  -SubjectKeywords "junk" -De

leteContent -Confirm:$false

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Export-Mailbox], Re

cipientTaskException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : B1AE6DBB,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipient

Tasks.ExportMailbox

Monday, December 5, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Sorry I missed that the Export-mailbox cmdlet requires the -targetmailbox and targetfolder parameters. This means it takes a copy of the deleted items and places them into the target mailbox, etc. You can create a tmp mailbox for this and then drop it after you have confirmed you deleted the right content.

Get-Mailbox -Identity INFOUSERNAME | Export-Mailbox -TargetMailbox TmpMailbox -TargetFolder Junk -SubjectKeywords “junk” -DeleteContent -Confirm:$false

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:13 AM
  • Hi

I think you can try -ContentKeywords "junk" instead of -SubjectKeywords "junk", because it select the Keyword in the subject which contents "junk", such as "juck mail","Mail junk"

The command should be :

Get-Mailbox -Identity info | Export-Mailbox -ContentKey words "junk" -TargetMailbox info@xxx.com -TargetFolder "Junk" -DeleteContent

Dont forget create a new folder in OWA or outlook called "Juck", Sean's suggestion is quite correct. After running the command, you can delete them from the folder you created.

Cheers

Zi Feng

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:31 AM
  • i tried but 

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Identity info| Export-Mailbox -TargetMailb

ox salih -TargetFolder Junk -SubjectKeywords "Teslim Edilmedi:" -DeleteContent -

Confirm:$false

Export-Mailbox : Error was found for Info (info@xxx.com) because: Err

or occurred in the step: Creating target folder in the target mailbox. An unkno

wn error has occurred., error code: -2147221233

At line:1 char:43

+ Get-Mailbox -Identity info| Export-Mailbox <<<<  -TargetMailbox salih -Target

Folder Junk -SubjectKeywords "Teslim Edilmedi:" -DeleteContent -Confirm:$false

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Export-Mailbox], Re

cipientTaskException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : C68B49E2,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipient

Tasks.ExportMailbox

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Hi

Have you created a folder in TargetMailbox

Also try to  quote -TargetFolder "Junk" in the command

And about the error on Export-Mailbox command,   error code: -2147221233, just run FixMapi.exe from the command prompt easily fixes the problem.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvradmin/thread/d27a7a79-7752-44f3-b9eb-314c5af10649

Please try~~

Cheers

Zi Feng 

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi

Any update?

Monday, December 12, 2011 1:29 AM
  • hi,  Zi Feng

not run command  mauel delete  

my solition,  otlutlook rule delete step by step

plase write command