none
DPM Mgmt Shell - command to refresh disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to automate restoring dpm Volume backups to a "machine with hot-swap disks" named RESTORESRV.

I have created a powershell script that recovers a volume protection group on the RESTORESRV.

When I put in the RESTORESRV a new set of hot swap disks the script fails as if DPM cannot "see" the drive E.

If I want to make it work, I have to do the following 

1 I go into the "DMP Administrator Console"

2 go to recovey tab

3 select the volume protection group to recover

4 select recover to alternate location

5 click on the plus sign in front of RESTORESRV "the machine with the hot swap disks"

6 quit the recover task and exit "DMP Administrator Console"

Now if I run the script it works fine.

It seems that DPM refreshes the disk "ids" when you click on the RESTORESRV on the graphical environment.

Does anyone know a powershell command to do this "refresh" within a script?

Thank you

george

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:31 AM

Answers

• I am assuming that the the recovery disk/volume E: is present on the DPM, run the following commands:

$ps = Get-ProductionServer DPMServerName  | where { $_.NetBiosName -eq "DPMServerName" } //// get the production server object for which you want to get the updated list of volumes/disks. In this example I am assuming that your DPM server and recovery target server name is same.

Get-Datasource  -productionserver $ps  -inquire ////// Run an enquiry it will update the DPM server with the list of volumes/disks available on the $ps machine.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:16 PM

All replies

• I am assuming that the the recovery disk/volume E: is present on the DPM, run the following commands:

$ps = Get-ProductionServer DPMServerName  | where { $_.NetBiosName -eq "DPMServerName" } //// get the production server object for which you want to get the updated list of volumes/disks. In this example I am assuming that your DPM server and recovery target server name is same.

Get-Datasource  -productionserver $ps  -inquire ////// Run an enquiry it will update the DPM server with the list of volumes/disks available on the $ps machine.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Hi Praveen,

Thank you for your Response.

However, the recovery disk/volume is NOT present on the DPM server, but is present on another machine named RESTORESRV.

RESTORESRV has no ProtectionGroup on it but has the ProtectionAgent installed on it.

We want to use RESTORESRV as a restore only target for network restores of all protection groups and the take the hot swap disks to a safe place.

I hope I have clarified the scenario now.

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Hi Praveen,

I just changed the "DPMServerName" with "RESTORESRV" and it works fine.

$ps = Get-ProductionServer DPMServerName  | where { $_.NetBiosName -eq "RESTORESRV" }

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:06 AM