WinXP Disk Read Error... RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to fix my computer for the last 6 months now and been having the same problems.  For starters i was having cpu heating problems and had to  replace the heatsink which is done and am running at around 43 degrees Celsius idle. Now i am having problems with getting a prompt after my computer sometimes crashes or gets a blue screen and i have to restart, and after i restart it says i have a "disk read error press ctrl alt del to restart". it also sometimes gets past that part and gets to the the windows loading screen but never actually loads. I usually have to wait a day or so until i can turn on my computer again and it works fine for a couple of hours until crashing again. I have tried replacing my hardrive once and unplugging replugging the cables going to the hardrive. I had my computer for 2 years without problem before i had to start fixing it.

Specs
    CPU=Intel core 2 duo e6850 3.00ghz
    graphics card=NVIDIA GeForce 8800gts 512
    hardrive=WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2

Running Win xp home edition

I am not a real tech guy so any suggestions might help :)
    • Edited by Xraii Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:29 AM Spelling errors
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:26 AM

All replies

• If you have a Restore CD then I would wipe the HD clean reinstall the OS, and configure it the way that you want it, and leave it alone for a day or so and see if you still have problems.  If so then let us know what's going on.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Xraii

all these symptoms are showing your harddrive got some bad sector you need to replace your hdd for fix this problem. or for check your hdd you can run chkdsk at command prompt after that it show you few results, if result have (0 KB in bad sector) it means your hdd is ok or just you hv to need reinstall os.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:15 AM
  • yeah, i am still having problems after reinstalling winxp, i keep getting disk read errors and now sometimes when i turn on my comp it tries to detect my drive (says detecting ide drive....) but it never would and i would have to restart. sometimes it will turn on perfectly and last for maybe 5 min or maybe 16 hours. completely unpredictable.

i have tried unplugging and replugging my drive but that didn't help. i want to see if there is anything else i need to do before i have to go and buy a new drive/cable.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:32 AM