none
DHCP - Issues a 1 hour lease instead of configured 8 hour lease RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been troubleshooting an issue with DHCP and on a side note noticed that the lease that some clients get is 1 hour instead of the 8 hour configured lease time. Looking into it further the hour is the Maximum Client Lease Time (MCLT) because we have 2 DHCP servers set up with failover in a 'load balanced' configuration. Once the hour is up it then renews with an 8 hour lease. I have been referring to these articles primarily:

What I can't seem to work out is why it's only sometimes that it gets the 1 hour lease time. For example on one PC if it boots from cold it gets a 1 hour lease, a different PC that boots will get an 8 hour lease.

Does anyone know the difference between why it gives a 1 hour (MCLT) vs an 8 hour (which we have configured)?

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

In theory, when a client sends a request for a new lease, it will get lease for MCLT duration. When the client attempts to renew the lease at half the lease period i.e. MCLT/2, it will be given the scope lease duration if DHCP failover is in NORMAL state.

This is as per the DHCP failover protocol. 

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 5:24 AM