Upgrading from 32-bit Vista Ultimate to 64-bit Vista Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Our company is considering purchasing some notebooks that come with Vista Ultimate 32-bit installed.  The hardware in the notebooks is complaint with 64-bit, the company that we are purchasing from just chooses not to make 64-bit available as a pre-installed OS.

I already realize that I cannot "upgrade" from the 32-bit to 64-bit and it will require a clean install, so that is not the issue.  My question is, can I wipe these machines and install the 64-bit version for a low cost (i.e., the cost of getting the media), or will we have to buy licenses and software again?  I have heard conflicting details about whether MS offers a free or low-cost upgrade for the same version of Vista that just involves moving from 32- to 64-bit.  Bear in mind that these machines have the OEM version of Vista Ultimate 32-bit installed, not the retail version.

If there is a free/low-cost way to do this, can anyone give me a link where I can download the software or order the media?  Simply because of time constraints, I would prefer a download link if possible.

Thanks,
    Jennifer
    Friday, October 24, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Jennifer,

I suggest contacting your local Microsoft Customer Service for detailed information.

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, October 27, 2008 6:21 AM