none
Rebooting Exchange 2010 Servers RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Exchange 2007 SP2 SCC servers (active/passive) and also some Exchange 2010 SP1.

The Exchange 2010 SP1 is one DAG, composed of 8 servers (4 in each site). There are numerous databases spread amongst the 7 servers, we have one server acting as the Lag server.

One of the servers holding the active copy of databases is named Mail1.

We need to reboot this.....

With Exchange 2007, if we rebooted an active node, the databases would fail over to the passive node. But Exchange 2010 is a different beast altogether :)

Can someone tell me:

i. In Exchange 2010, if a server holding active databases is rebooted, would these DB's fail over to another server?

ii. If they do fail over to another server, I assume they fail over to the one with Preference 2 (assuming Mail1 is Preference 1)

iii. If, somehow, Mail2 was the Preference 2 server for some databases, would they fail over to their Preference 1 server (assuming it was up)

iv. Given that in Exchange 2010, the clients connect to the CAS role and not directly to the mailbox servers, is there any effect to clients on rebooting a server with active copies of databases?

v. Is there a command to run on Mail1 that will list all the databases on it, and the server they will fail over to if they were failed over?
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:43 PM

Answers

• i. Yes, but it's best to switch over the databases manually before downing a mailbox server.

You can do this easily with the EMS command:

Move-ActiveMailboxDatabase -Server <SERVER>

ii. This command will move all databases mounted on <SERVER> to another server with the highest preference number, just like a failover does.

iii. Yes, see my above answer.

iv.  It is my experience that clients don't notice.

v.  Not exactly.  You can list out all mailbox databases, the servers they're resident on with preference numbers.

Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | Format-List Name,MountedOnServer,ActivationPreference

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Monday, December 19, 2011 5:15 AM