Vista Ultimate 64 bit Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having issues trying to install Windows Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT)RED UPGRADE w/SP1 64 bit. I bought it off digitalriver for students because I'm currently attending college. I downloaded it to a folder on my desktop which is a XP O/S. There are 3 parts to download. I was able to open the windows vista preparation file and load it on a dvd r disk. I also copied the two other files required(install.wim and boot.wim) .  I'm trying to install this copy of Vista on a Dell 380, P4 3.0ghz EX H/T, 8gb memory, 4 150gb running on raid 0. The processor has 64 bit(EM64T) capability. The hard drives are clean except for 10gb, which I believe is MBR.

Now for my questions, Why won't this boot to the disk I copy this to? What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to get this O/S loaded? I'm totally lost at this point and need some help. Any suggestions and recommendations are grateful. Thanks, HH
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:12 AM

Answers

• Microsoft sure knows how to hand it to the consumer. Maybe they should start selling KY with there OS in the future. Because the process of loading the OS was anything but smooth. 

I got the OS loaded with a lot of frustration, aggrevation and a few pots of coffee. 

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 20, 2009 10:54 AM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:37 AM

All replies

• By the product name, it looks like an Upgrade version.  What happens when you insert the disc on Windows XP?  Do you get the Setup autorun?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:53 AM
  • I get a error something about loading 64 bit on 32 bit.  I pulled that hard drive and since installed four seagate 150gb 10k rpm drives. From what I read, I need a clean install and its not booting from the install on the dvd disk. I'm lost at this point on what to do. I have no other 64 bit O/S to preload on the system.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:22 AM
  •  Is your Windows XP 64 bit? You can only upgrade a 32 bit XP to a 32 bit Vista.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:18 PM
  •  To answer the last post,  As I said in a previous post. I'm trying to do a cleann install. I pulled the 40g hard drive with XP on it. I installed 4 150gb 10k seagate hard drives. The download I got from microsoft doesn't work booting from a dvd disk for some darn reason. I even tried to boot off my thub drive.

To answer the one person that said its probably a upgrade version. That is not the case. Its Vista Ultimate with the upgrade version of red. It just has a few more bells and whistles added.

Update to my saga, I reverted going to the schools MSDN person and got a Vista disk 64bit. I was able to boot where the first screen loads the files. The screen blinks for a moment then I get where the microsoft bar appears but before it runs, the system BSOD with a error Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area / stop 0X00000050. I have not been able to get past this screen. I read on technet you are suppose to load SP1 to correct this. The disk I got from the school apperently does not have SP1 on it. The version I downloaded from microsoft does have SP1 but have been unable to to boot to it.

How can I overcome this issue? Please give me details  because I'm not totally software smart here. Thanks, HH
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Microsoft sure knows how to hand it to the consumer. Maybe they should start selling KY with there OS in the future. Because the process of loading the OS was anything but smooth. 

I got the OS loaded with a lot of frustration, aggrevation and a few pots of coffee. 

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, February 20, 2009 10:54 AM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:37 AM