Migrating Programs in Collection Migration Job RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Everything I have read states that when migrating programs from 2007 to 2012 the default behavior is for them to be disabled. However this is not what I am finding. I have a 2007 Package with 5 Programs. When I migrate the packages using a Collection migration job (accepting the default settings) only the first program is disabled, the other 4 are all enabled. Is this expected? From everything I have read I expected all 5 programs to  be disabled.

Has anyone else seen this?

Rhonda J. Layfield

Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Programs are disabled by default after migration.

Based on your description, I recommend you check the log file migmctrl.log

It records information about migration actions that involve migration jobs, shared distribution points, and distribution point upgrades.Note:In a multi-primary site hierarchy, use the log file created at the central administration site.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Moderator,

I just migrated another package with 4 programs accepting default settings in the collection migration job and the program that is disabled is the one the package was advertised with in the 2007 environment. The other three programs are enabled. While they are not being used- they are still enabled. So it appears that not ALL programs are disabled when migrated only the one that the package was advertised with in 2007.

After reading all docs I can find on subject I expected all programs to be disabled.

Thanks for the response,

Rhonda J. Layfield

Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Does this cause any issues? The status (enabled / disabled) of a non-deployed program does not matter at all.
    You can also use a script the flip the status of each program.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Torsten,

The fact that everyone is saying ALL programs migrate as disabled is technically incorrect. What if someone were to change the program thinking that it was disabled to get a package ready for deployment in 2012, but not actually want it deployed just yet. They could get undesired results.

The fact is that NOT ALL PROGRAMS ARE DISABLED - technically only the program associated to the package at the time of migration is disabled not any others.

I was just surprised by this after every single web site I have gone to clearly states that ALL PROGRAMS ARE DISABLED by default in a Collection migration job.

Rhonda J. Layfield

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:04 PM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712285.aspx

"By default, collection-based migration jobs disable advertisements that migrate to the destination hierarchy. This includes any programs that are associated with the advertisement".
    Where did you read that all will be disabled?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Well actually right there (thanks for finding this for me :-)

"By default, collection-based migration jobs disable advertisements that migrate to the destination hierarchy. This includes any programsthat are associated with the advertisement".

The very first line.

By default, collection-based migration jobs disable advertisements that migrate to the destination hierarchy.

the second line states that it "includes" programs that are associated with the adv. where it should read

"When there are multiple programs associated to the package the only program that is disabled in the one that is advertised to the collection. All other programs associated to the package are enabled."

Rhonda J. Layfield

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:00 PM