none
DPM 2012 SP1 | SharePoint 2013 Protection | Some of the databases were not available for protection when the selected recovery point was created RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

We have a DPM 2012 SP1 that is protecting SharePoint 2013 Farm [Which is installed over a SQL Cluster with named instance].

When I browse to the recoverable items, I find the content databases, and this error appears:

some of the databases were not available when the selected recovery point was created for farm recovery ensure that config and admin content databases are available in the recovery point

Also there are two content databases that I cannot browse to restore the sites inside them. Whenever I double on the database nothing happens. I can browse the rest of databases and see the sites inside them.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Choose a different recovery point time that had a successful DB backup.  You can look at the job history and see why some databases did not get backed up for the recovery point time that gave you the error. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I checked all the available recovery points, all databases are available except for two, I cannot browse them or check the sites inside them.

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Also I checked the history , and I found this event:

Farm configuration ahs changed:

3 database(s) have been removed from the SharePoint farm.

These databases are not part of the recovery point.

Deleted databases are DB1, DB2, DB3

(ID 32524)

DB1 doesn't have any issue, DB2 & DB3 are the affected ones

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

Create a custom job filter and just filter on failed jobs for the sharepoint farm in last 30 days. There should be failed recovery point jobs for the DB's in question - what are the details of the failed jobs ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:54 PM
  • There is almost everyday recovery point creation failure for both affected DBAs, failure details:

Prepare for backup operation for SQL Server 2012 database DB 2 on SQL Server sql02 has been stopped because this operation depended on another backup operation which failed or was cancelled. (ID 30200)

the same error for the other database

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Also I modified the filter to check the completed jobs, I found that there are completed jobs for the affected DBs.

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

It could be that the catalog jobs for the effected databases failed, under that condition, item level recovery is not possible from DPM - you would need to restore the entire content database and mount it, then use sharepoint tools to export and import the item.   If you have days with successful DB backups, then you should be able to recover that DB.

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your help. So how to resolve this issue and take successful recovery point? should I stop the protection then resume it again and keep replicas?

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

Sharepoint catalog failures are usually due to some sharepoint problem.  Errors can be viewed in the C:\program files\microsoft data Protection Manager\dpm\temp\WssCmdLetsWrapperCurr.errlog on the Sharepoint Web front end server that DPM is protecting sharepiont on. 

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:36 PM
  • Hi,

It could be that the catalog jobs for the effected databases failed, under that condition, item level recovery is not possible from DPM - you would need to restore the entire content database and mount it, then use sharepoint tools to export and import the item.   If you have days with successful DB backups, then you should be able to recover that DB.

I checked the completed jobs, I found that SharePoint catalogue task is completed with the following warning:

DPM failed to gather item level catalog for 2 database(s) of the SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\SQL\SharePoint_Config on SharePoint server. Some of the recovery points for these databases in the farm would be associated with an earlier successful catalog. (ID 3133)

How can I check what the databases that failed the catalogue?

Thanks, Shehatovich

Friday, April 4, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

Sharepoint catalog failures are usually due to some sharepoint problem.  Errors can be viewed in the C:\program files\microsoft data Protection Manager\dpm\temp\WssCmdLetsWrapperCurr.errlog on the Sharepoint Web front end server that DPM is protecting sharepiont on. 

I checked WssCmdLetsWrapperCurr.errlog  , and found this error:

WARNING [UniqueId 579] Caught Exception trying to generate a Catalog for Database [SQL\DB2]
    WARNING Attempted to use an object that has ceased to exist. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80030102 (STG_E_REVERTED))

What could be the issue?

I looked for this error, some people says that there is an issue with managed path and DPM, item level restore will not be possible and it is a known issue with DPM. is that right?

Thanks, Shehatovich

Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:47 PM
  • Sorry for posting a lot, but I have this case with customer who needs to restore specific site from the affected DBs.

If I stopped the protection group and kept the replica, then resumed the protection. then I ran SharePoint catalogue task, would this solve the issue and do item level restore?

Thanks so much for the support

Thanks, Shehatovich

Saturday, April 5, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Hi,

If the catalog error is because that DB is no longer part of the farm, then yes, you must stop protection and re-protect so DPM no longer tries to catalog that database.

Removing a Database from a SharePoint Farm
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758174.aspx

If that DB is still part of the farm, then most likely something on the sharepoint side needs to be fixed.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:05 PM