Upgrade from Windows 2008 standard server to 2012 standard server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to everyone

I have a working windows 2008 standard server 32 bit and I'm planning to upgrade to 2012 standard server 64bit.
    The server is a Sunfire x2100. 

Is it possible to do so? Are the working drivers compatible with the new operating system?

Any supplemental information will be very useful.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• You should be able to upgrade in place.  You have to check with the various device vendors to see if their 2008 drivers will work during an upgrade and if they have new drivers for 2012.  Microsoft does not write the drivers for many devices - they are provided by the device vendors.  So, check the vendor web sites (or call them) for 2012 drivers.  Have them available during upgrade.  Often base capabilities come across, and you can simply upgrade the device drivers after you have upgraded the OS.  But I have seen it where a critical driver, like the storage controller, needs to be updated before or during the upgrade process, otherwise 2012 can't see the storage to which it needs to write.

tim

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:21 PM

All replies

• You should be able to upgrade in place.  You have to check with the various device vendors to see if their 2008 drivers will work during an upgrade and if they have new drivers for 2012.  Microsoft does not write the drivers for many devices - they are provided by the device vendors.  So, check the vendor web sites (or call them) for 2012 drivers.  Have them available during upgrade.  Often base capabilities come across, and you can simply upgrade the device drivers after you have upgraded the OS.  But I have seen it where a critical driver, like the storage controller, needs to be updated before or during the upgrade process, otherwise 2012 can't see the storage to which it needs to write.

tim

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:21 PM
  • I have a working windows 2008 standard server 32 bit and I'm planning to upgrade to 2012 standard server 64bit.

The server is a Sunfire x2100. 

Is it possible to do so? Are the working drivers compatible with the new operating system?

I suggest to make a copy of your VMs with free VeeamZIP (Veeam Backup Free Edition) before performing in-place upgrade, and re-install 2008 R2 Hyper-V and restore VMs if something goes wrong. Or you can simply backup VMs on 2008 R2 Hyper-V and restore them to 2012 Hyper-V.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi, first, sory for my english!? i speak spanish

Stelios M:

I would like to know how you installed the windows 2008 on Sunfire x2100. If you have a link where explain that

Thanks

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:03 PM