Error Code 0x800704b3 when accessing network share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of the share path is working in Windows 10 and not working in Windows 7. 

I tired using the IP Address of the share path. Below error received.

Please help how to get this resolved.

Regards, Boopathi

Thursday, July 2, 2020 3:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, 

Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to a new PC running Windows 10 because support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020.

In order to better assist you with your issue, we need to ask a few questions:

1. My understanding is you could not access to the file share by \\hostname. Is my understanding correct here?

2. I would also like to know if the impacted machines have joined domains or just workgroup machines? If they had joined domains, could you please help to confirm if you can access to the file share by FQDN?

3. What about the OS version of the impacted SMB client and SMB server?

4. Please help to confirm the issue occurred in what kind of scenarios? The windows 7 machine is SMB client or SMB server?

5. Is there any related errors in SMBclient log?

Best Regards,

Sunny Qi

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 3, 2020 9:47 AM
  • Hi Sunnyqi,

Thanks for your reply. Find the below answers

1. My understanding is you could not access to the file share by \\hostname. Is my understanding correct here?

Tried using \\hostname and \\IPAddress and \\FQDN

2. I would also like to know if the impacted machines have joined domains or just workgroup machines? If they had joined domains, could you please help to confirm if you can access to the file share by FQDN?

Impacted machine joined in domain and FQDN does not work. User connects Cisco VPN.

3. What about the OS version of the impacted SMB client and SMB server?

OS version is 6.1.7601. SMBv1

4. Please help to confirm the issue occurred in what kind of scenarios? The windows 7 machine is SMB client or SMB server?

Windows 7 is SMB Client. It is accessing the shared in a server. This share works in Windows 10

5. Is there any related errors in SMBclient log?

What is the location of SMBclient log in the Windows 7. I searched in google and unable to find it

Regards, Boopathi

Friday, July 3, 2020 4:40 PM
  • Hi Boopathi,

Thanks for your reply.

To check if there’s any error message in the event viewer regarding SMB on client side:
    Event viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBclient

To check if there's any error message in the event viewer regarding SMB on server side:

Event viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBserver

And based on my research, here is a similar issue for your reference, hope helpful to you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0ec3edd9-474d-40a9-aac9-31942a7c923b/windows-7-domain-pc-cannot-connect-to-shared-folder-on-windows-2019-standard?forum=winserverfiles 

Best Regards,

Sunny Qi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, July 6, 2020 9:42 AM
  • Hi Sunny Qi,

Thank you for your reply.

Today I checked that Workstation service is not started in the laptop. It gives error when select Start.

This laptop require reinstalling the operating system.

Regards, Boopathi

Monday, July 6, 2020 3:13 PM
  • Hi Boopathi,

Thanks for your info.

I think you can reinstall the operation system to see if the issue can be resolved now.

Hope my answer will help you. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Sunny Qi

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:24 AM