none
XP Pro 64 from MSDN fails wth Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded XP Pro 64 bit from MSDN.  When I start Internet Explorer it always fails It has 6.0.379.1830. A dialog box pops up without any real info. If I send an error report the hints to fix it send me to Window Update site.  Windows update fails because Internet Explorer does not work. I thought maybe download another version of IE on another machine and bring it here. IE 9 failed.  So I went back the site said IE8 is perfect for XP. But XP said "this OS does not support IE8".  I tried IE 7, same unsupported message. 

How do I get this OS to work with IE?

thanks,
    Chas

• Moved by Neddy Ren Monday, September 19, 2011 7:49 AM the Internet Explorer installation in Windows XP (From:Windows Forms General)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• For internet explorer 8 you must have 

xp sp2 installed

Internet explorer 8 for XP is a different setup ,Download  ( http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=43 )

This Forum is for "windows form" programing not for windows update or IE issues , visit http://answers.microsoft.com/ for windows and other software related issues.

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz
    • Marked as answer by Chas2004 Monday, September 19, 2011 6:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chas2004 Monday, September 19, 2011 9:26 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Thanks, that helps loads.  I was really frustrated that MSDN supplied a non-working download in the first place. Now I feel much better.

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:07 PM
  • OK I am   back to frustrated.  Every example for XP SP2 I download from MSDN or anywhere fails.  It either says an inf file is invalid or it says 'you can't mix check and unchecked builds and I will not tell you which is which that you have' or words to that effect.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:35 PM
  • unless you tell what was the error due to which sp2 fails we will not be able to help you.

Delete all the wiles in TEMP folder ( type %temp% in run command or windows explorer)

start your XP SP2 setup again. if the setup fails again go to the temp folder and sp2 folder (some times it is like KB****) get the installation log .

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:45 AM
  • I cleaned out %temp% at c:\documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp.  I ran the XP SP2 installation afterwards the folder was still clear.  An error message did come up "Setup Error  The updatebr.inf file is invalid  <OK>".   The file was windows-kb835935-sp2-debug-enu.exe.  Identical results with WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe. 

WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe gives 'Service Pack 2 Setup cannot updat a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version of Service Pack 2, or vice versa."  And had no log file in the %temp% location either

Thanks,

Chas

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:39 PM