Print spooler keeps stopping on its own RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have read and tried many suggestions and no luck yet. It's a Dell Optiplex GX620, Windows XP. I have set the print spooler to automatic start and it starts. The RPC is also set to auto and it starts.

But when I try to add a printer the error message says print spooler not running. I restart the print spooler, try to add a printer and always the same error.

There are no printers showing as installed. I'm trying to install an HP Photosmart 7515.

Help is greatly appreciated!!

Monday, December 12, 2011 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a common problem with print spooler and happens on all the systems even if it has win7 or win vista.Since your system has win xp, there is less scope for troubleshooting but you can certainly try all the steps listed below:

1) Disconnect the usb cable from the printer

2) Unistall the printer drivers from all programs

3) Also check for any traces of printer driver under Add/Remove programs in control panel and remove it

4) Reboot the system in safe mode

5) delete the Hp folder under c:\program files. Also delete any other traces of Hp under c:\drive

6)Open regegit. Navigate to HKLM-SYSTEM-CURRENT CONTROL SET- CONTROL-PRINT-MONITORS

Under monitors delete any traces wrt HP

7)Now navigate to HKLM-SYSTEM-CURRENT CONTROL SET- CONTROL-PRINT-ENVIRONMENTS

Delete any traces wrt HP

8)Now navigate to HKLM-SYSTEM-CURRENT CONTROL SET- CONTROL-PRINT-ENVIRONMENTS- DRIVERS

Delete any traces wrt HP.Close the registry editor

9) Navigate to c:\windows\system32\spool. Delete all the contents listed under Spool folder. Close all the windows and Restart the system in normal mode

10) Download the latest drivers from HP website and install them.

If the above steps do not work, You can always create a new administrator user account under control panel and try installing the printer. Usually it works. I have tried it many times and got success.

8)

Monday, December 12, 2011 2:18 AM