Large Page Memory Usage and Restrictions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working on a memory intensive Windows Application where it performs the memory intensive operations and requires huge amount of memory at its runtime.

Since we want to be more and more performant, we are exploring the option of using "Large Pages" memory allocation, so as to ignore frequent paging of memory frames.

I have two questions associated with using Large Pages,

1. Is there any limit on the memory which can be allocated as Large Pages: Let's say i have a system with 32Gb of RAM, how much memory can be used as Large Pages. I suspect such limit as there may be an application which can allocate all the available memory as Large Pages and since that memory is non-pageable, it may result in starvation of other processes running on the same machine. please share, if there is any such restriction or if it is configurable via some settings.
    2. I learnt that Large Page Memory should always be contigous, so allocation of Large Page should be done carefully to ensure their availability. I want to confirm if the Memory allocation fails 100%, if OS can not find a contigous memory of required size OR is there any fallback to it?

I could not find anything concrete regarding this questions. Please point me to the reference doc, if any.

Though this question is not specific to any Windows Version, still i am posting it for Windows 8.1.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:06 PM

All replies