none
Cant edit page - A page by this name exists in this wiki already. Please choose another name for this page. RRS feed

• Question

• I was finishing my first page, making some final edits, taking out the Work In Progress tag and adding some proper ones plus a TOC, I changed the article title as well to make it more friendly.  Anyway, I can't save my changes I get this warning "A page by this name exists in this wiki already. Please choose another name for this page.".  I have tried putting the page title and tags back to what they were but nothing has helped. 

How can I overcome this, ideally without losing the changes I have made and how can I avoid this from happening again?  Thanks for any help.  This is the page in question:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/36430.office-365-secure-score.aspx 

Friday, December 16, 2016 11:11 AM

Answers

• What title would you like?

Edit: Doesn't matter, we cannot change the title either. We need to wait for someone with admin rights to check. Sorry.

Edit: Just confirmed that the same error is raised whenever we attempt to edit any Wiki article. Definitely not your problem. Now we attempt to escalate.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:55 PM
  • The Wiki is reported now to be fixed.

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:43 PM

All replies

• If you are still in the edit screen, I would just return the title to the original and try to save. Or try another slightly different title. If that doesn't work you need to cancel.

In the future make title changes as the only edit when you save, because the Wiki enforces unique titles. You never know when you might select a duplicate.

Edit: Before you cancel you can copy your text to the clipboard, and even paste into a file. The tags and TOC are easy, the text is what you need to save somewhere.

Friday, December 16, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I saved the text and cancelled the edit.  Giving it a different title or using the original title and tags didn't change anything.  It's not possible to make any edits to the page even from the unedited revision, so it's a bit of a bust.  Thanks for the tip about making one change at a time, if I get past this hurdle, I'll definitely do that next time!
    Friday, December 16, 2016 1:12 PM
  • The article looks OK to me (not locked or anything, but I didn't attempt an edit). Maybe just edit the tags first. That should never be an issue. Then edit the text. The title may be more of a problem.

Edit: I just attempted to add some tags, as a test. I will try again, but the article didn't save. It is common to require a few attempts, but for me I then "lost the connection". So there may be problems with the Wiki at the moment. As I said, we often need to click "Save" several times.

Edit: I tried again, and this time I got the error message you reported: about duplicate title. Previously I searched for the title and only found the one article you linked.

Edit: We are testing now. May need to report to someone with admin privileges.

Edit: Confirmed. Seems to not be your problem. May take awhile to alert someone to investigate more than we can.

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:36 PM
  • What title would you like?

Edit: Doesn't matter, we cannot change the title either. We need to wait for someone with admin rights to check. Sorry.

Edit: Just confirmed that the same error is raised whenever we attempt to edit any Wiki article. Definitely not your problem. Now we attempt to escalate.

Friday, December 16, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for the investigation, it's appreciated.   I'll wait to see what happens.

I was going to change the name to the following, to add a bit of context:

Office 365 Secure Score - Find and Fix Risks in Office 365

Friday, December 16, 2016 2:57 PM
  • The Wiki is reported now to be fixed.

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Thanks, I made all the edits I needed today including renaming the article and it worked a treat. Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Thanks, I made all the edits I needed today including renaming the article and it worked a treat. Thanks for your help.

That's great! Glad we got it fixed. Thanks Cian, for reporting!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:11 PM
    Owner