Installing secondary site server to existing DP possible??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

is it possible to install a socondary site Server to an existing DP without deinstalling the role or lose packages?

Sorry, at the Moment i've no test System to evaluate.

Thank you.

Best regards

Jürgen

www.jp-itconsulting.de

• Edited by JPietsch Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:52 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could run prereqchk.exe (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712320.aspx#BKMK_PrerequisiteChecker) and see if it complains about a DP being present. I don't know if the prerequistes checker will check that at all, but it's worth a try.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:01 PM
  • You can preload all the packages on the new secondary site. That way you do not have to tranfer the packages accros the WAN again.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hello,

so I've testet the scenario in al lab. It's very curious, because after i add the secondary site server role, the server is both, DP for site A and secondary site server with site code B. The server holds two DP roles.

The DP content libary works perfect, the packages will be there only one time.

Now i must test what will happen when i distribute an existing package twice, if it goes over the network. And what will hapen when i remove a package or one of the roles.

www.jp-itconsulting.de

Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:50 PM
  • It sounds like you may have found a very interesting loophole.  A server can only contain a role for one site, in other words the above scenario is not supported.

The supported way as Kent points out is to prestage packages. 

Stan

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:51 PM
  • I think so too, it was a question at a customer workshop and was more "academic". Package prestaging will be the right way :-)

www.jp-itconsulting.de

Monday, August 6, 2012 3:02 PM