File type associations for files opened from within App-V application? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of sequencing HP ServiceCenter.

When viewing tickets in ServiceCenter, files can be attached to individual tickets. Double clicking an attachment opens the file with the default program for that file type. When I first sequenced ServiceCenter, I had LOCAL_INTERACTION set to FALSE and double clicking an attachment within a ticket would trigger an error message and the attachment would not open. I then switched LOCAL_INTERACTION to TRUE which fixed most issues but I am still having issues when double clicking a jpeg or png attachment in a ServiceCenter ticket. The jpeg and png attachments cause Windows Photo Viewer to open but the image never loads. With that said, if I change the default program on the client machine for jpegs to Internet Explorer, double clicking the attachment in ServiceCenter opens IE and loads the image no problem. That didn't work for png files but setting default program for png files to MS Paint works fine.

Is there a way for me to modify the package so that opening certain file types within the App-V ServiceCenter will open with a specific application on the client machine (without changing the default on the client machine)?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• You'll need to create the file type associations in the package (via Default Programs, direct registry edits or the helper applications themselves); however whether that will work will depend on how ServiceCenter calls the application for those file types.

If ServiceCenter makes a call to Windows for the default application, and the component of Windows that handles that is already running outside of the virtual environment, then the application called may run outside of the ServiceCenter package.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Verify if your package contains any registry keys relating to the file type associations you have a problem with - could be worthwhile removing those

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:43 PM
  • znack -- I just took a look at the virtual registry and don't see anything relating to jpeg or png files.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:58 PM
  • You'll need to create the file type associations in the package (via Default Programs, direct registry edits or the helper applications themselves); however whether that will work will depend on how ServiceCenter calls the application for those file types.

If ServiceCenter makes a call to Windows for the default application, and the component of Windows that handles that is already running outside of the virtual environment, then the application called may run outside of the ServiceCenter package.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:19 PM