Mail store physical disk space reduction + remote backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello

Currently our Mailbox store is physically taking up 87GB of disk space, and our Public folders are taking up 78GB of space.

We have Metalogix Exchange Mail Archiver that archives any emails from Exchange older than 6 months and leaves a small stub behind with a pointer to the archived email stored elsewhere on LAN. We also have a mailbox quota policy of 500MB on 90% of mailboxes with around 40 active mailboxes.

The mailbox store physical space doesn't appear to be reducing in size with the mailbox deletions we are doing, and with the archiving solution we have.

My questions;

1. Doesn't Exchange do a online - defrag every night to reduce  the physical space both stores are consuming?

2. If it doesn't, is there an automated method or manual method of reducing the size of the stores, without doing an offline defrag ( remember with Exchange 2003 it took at whole day to complete, and very inconvenient  for users and admin)!.

Also the growing size of our store is making a big impact on our Remote Backup of Exchange – the cost is doubling, even though we have an archiving solution plus deleting old mailboxes. The archiving solution is capturing the file store files on a daily basis.

Welcome your comments on how we can improve this situation.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi

Exchange does do an online defrag every day (as per your maintenance schedule) but this is just a reorganisation, it does not reduce the total disk usage of the EDB file.  The only way to achieve a reduction in size is an offline defrag.  An alternative would be to create a new database and move all your active mailboxes into it.

Steve

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, February 13, 2012 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:16 PM
  • You may need to offline defrag the database.. better still is if you can copy the mailboxes to the new database that way the white space will not be copied. exchange 2010 does the maintenance and you can get an insight for this http://smtp25.blogspot.in/2011/01/white-space-exchange-2010-where-did.html

http://www.shudnow.net/2009/10/25/exchange-2010-24x7-online-defragmentation-and-online-database-scanning/ http://msexchangeguru.com/2011/01/06/e2010-whitespace/

• Edited by Khoj Sahiwala Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:34 PM
  • If you want to reduce the size of the log file size then perform the full backup. If you want to flush the logs files every night then perform the full backup everynight else on the weekends.

when you run the full backup very first time you will see all the log files gets truncated.

As mentioned above - you can't reduce/shrink the database size without dismounting and defrag the database which is not a good practice but as an alternate you can move the mailboxes, and you start thinking of moving mailboxes if your white spaces are more than 30% of the database or in multiple of gigs.

When you start moving the mailboxes you must have enough available space becuase moving mailbox also generate the log files on the target database.

Where Technology Meets Talent

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi

Exchange does do an online defrag every day (as per your maintenance schedule) but this is just a reorganisation, it does not reduce the total disk usage of the EDB file.  The only way to achieve a reduction in size is an offline defrag.  An alternative would be to create a new database and move all your active mailboxes into it.

Steve

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:16 PM
  • You may need to offline defrag the database.. better still is if you can copy the mailboxes to the new database that way the white space will not be copied. exchange 2010 does the maintenance and you can get an insight for this http://smtp25.blogspot.in/2011/01/white-space-exchange-2010-where-did.html

http://www.shudnow.net/2009/10/25/exchange-2010-24x7-online-defragmentation-and-online-database-scanning/ http://msexchangeguru.com/2011/01/06/e2010-whitespace/

• Edited by Khoj Sahiwala Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:34 PM
  • If you want to reduce the size of the log file size then perform the full backup. If you want to flush the logs files every night then perform the full backup everynight else on the weekends.

when you run the full backup very first time you will see all the log files gets truncated.

As mentioned above - you can't reduce/shrink the database size without dismounting and defrag the database which is not a good practice but as an alternate you can move the mailboxes, and you start thinking of moving mailboxes if your white spaces are more than 30% of the database or in multiple of gigs.

When you start moving the mailboxes you must have enough available space becuase moving mailbox also generate the log files on the target database.

Where Technology Meets Talent

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi

I have copied the mailboxes from first storage group onto a new database, and this has freed up nearly 20Gb of space.

How do I perform this same exercise of moving the second storage database (public folders) onto a new database to reduce edb footprint?

I have gone into Public Folder Tools but cannot find an option to MOVE PUBLIC FOLDER ONTO ANOTHER DATABASE.

please help

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:03 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:03:15 +0000, uklogistics wrote:

>I have copied the mailboxes from first storage group onto a new database, and this has freed up nearly 20Gb of space.
    >
    >How do I perform this same exercise of moving the second storage database (public folders) onto a new database to reduce edb footprint?
    >
    >I have gone into Public Folder Tools but cannot find an option to MOVE PUBLIC FOLDER ONTO ANOTHER DATABASE.

You can have only one public folder database per server so replicating
    the public folders to another database would mean having another
    Exchange server, not just another storage group on the same server.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Please can you advise how I can compact the public folder database , if I cannot use moving mailbox method?

Do I have to do an offline defrag of public folders?

If this is the case, will the mailbox store need to go offline also during the process?

Please advise best options.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:07 PM
  • On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:07:15 +0000, uklogistics wrote:

>
    >
    >Please can you advise how I can compact the public folder database , if I cannot use moving mailbox method?
    >
    >Do I have to do an offline defrag of public folders?

Yes, you do.

>If this is the case, will the mailbox store need to go offline also during the process?

No, but you may have complant about Outlook trying to connect to the
    server, offline address books not updating, free/busy unavailability,
    etc. while the database is dismounted.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:04 AM