none
Accessing/publishing file shares within UAG RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create file shares within UAG but can't because the TMG device cannot 'see' any servers outside it's own subnet.  I can map to the shares, and ping the servers, but can't view them via UAG File Access option or when browsing the 'network' from the TMG device. 

We've turned on Network Discovery but this has had no affect.  Can anyone please assist as I'm really stuck, I've had no training on the device and our implementors have been slow to offer assistance.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:57 AM

Answers

• Problem now resolved by manually modifying the ShareAccessCfg.xml to include the required servers and shares.  Thanks for your advice.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Sweet Monday, July 18, 2011 2:09 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Amig@. The discovery of servers for File Access depends on the Computer Browser service. Can you browse the network internally? if you can't then it will not work. If you can, then try to start the Computer Browser service on the UAG server and open filters in intermediate firewalls (if needed) for NetBIOS between UAG and the DC owning the PDC Emulator rol

Regards 

// Raúl - I love this game
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I can browse the servers within my local subnet (both from within UAG and the device itself) but I can't seem to view or broswe anything outside the local subnet.  I can however map to the drives I want.  We have no intermediate firewalls other than the firewall on the TMG device itself.  The problem is I didn't set the device up so I'm not sure if it's a Forefront TMG device configuration issue or a wider browsing problem.  We have turned Network discovery on but this hasn't made any difference.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Can you browse the network from those other subnets? Computer Browser needs a "master browser" server in every network segment. All these "masters" send the local list to the PDC emulator that aggregates the lists and composes the full one. That list is the one that is sent to computers browsing the network
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Previously we had IAG installed on a server which is on the same subnet as the UAG server.  I've just checked and we can access all the domain network shares from the IAG device but not from the UAG device.  I'm waiting for our installer to come back to me as I'm wondering if the issue is to do with the UAG configuration.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hi Amig@. File Access is the same in IAG and UAG so if one works the other one should provided they share the same configuration. Try to start the Computer Browser service in the UAG server (check IAG. It is likely that it is started there)
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Problem now resolved by manually modifying the ShareAccessCfg.xml to include the required servers and shares.  Thanks for your advice.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Sweet Monday, July 18, 2011 2:09 PM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:09 PM