Availability of Hotfix to activate Windows Server 2016 from a Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS hosts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does anyone know when the hotfix, like KB3058168 for W10, to activate Windows Server 2016 from a Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS hosts will become available? The ISO's are on our VL site but any search for the hotfix comes up empty.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:19 PM

Answers

• After some digging, it appears that this hotfix was included in the July non-security update for Server 2012R2:

July 21, 2016 -- KB3172614

This update includes quality improvements. No new security updates are included. Key changes include:

• This update extends support of the Key Management Service (KMS) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, in order to enable the activation of clients running Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based long-term servicing branch (LTSB) and Windows Server 2016 clients, when they become available.

In addition to installing this update on the KMS Host, a KMS generic volume license key (GVLK) that is designed to support the Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based LTSB or Windows Server 2016 clients also needs to be installed. Information about the associated KMS GVLKs for these products will be listed in Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys, when they become available.

The KMS GVLKs that support the new versions of Windows will also support previous volume licensing editions of Windows that are acting as KMS clients. For more info about using a Customer Support Volume License Key (CSLVK) for installation, see this article.
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, October 17, 2016 8:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:12 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2016 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi ConfigMatt,

I'm afraid currently there are no official documents about the hotfix.

Since Server 2016 was just released a few days ago, I suppose the specific hotfix would come later.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 2:58 AM
  • I have also looked many places and could not find any hot-fix's for this.  I hope it becomes available in the coming weeks/months as I for one certainly do not want to build a new 2016 KMS server when we have a perfectly good 2012R2 one already...   I will monitor this thread and hopefully someone will post when a hotfix becomes available.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 4:25 PM
  • After some digging, it appears that this hotfix was included in the July non-security update for Server 2012R2:

July 21, 2016 -- KB3172614

This update includes quality improvements. No new security updates are included. Key changes include:

• This update extends support of the Key Management Service (KMS) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, in order to enable the activation of clients running Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based long-term servicing branch (LTSB) and Windows Server 2016 clients, when they become available.

In addition to installing this update on the KMS Host, a KMS generic volume license key (GVLK) that is designed to support the Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based LTSB or Windows Server 2016 clients also needs to be installed. Information about the associated KMS GVLKs for these products will be listed in Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys, when they become available.

The KMS GVLKs that support the new versions of Windows will also support previous volume licensing editions of Windows that are acting as KMS clients. For more info about using a Customer Support Volume License Key (CSLVK) for installation, see this article.
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, October 17, 2016 8:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:12 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Thanks a lot NvTEch777, KB3172614 was the way to successfully activate Server 2016 KMS key with slmgr /ipk XXXX-XXXXX.. in Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Monday, October 17, 2016 6:34 AM