none
Retention period & number of recovery points RRS feed

• Question

• We are having the following situation.
    1. Primary DPM server was configured on 21st Dec, all PGs were configured with a retention period of 10 days.
    2. Secondary DPM server was configured on 28th Dec (so a week later), also all PGs have retention period set to 10 days

Now we are seeing the following:
    1. After synchronization secondary DPM has only recovery points starting from 28th Dec, so it does not get all recovery points from the start of primary DPM. Is it 'ok' scenario?
    2. So far today is 2nd Jan and there are already 13 recovery points on Primary DPM, a setting of 10 days did not work. Is it because Secondary DPM 2010 still did not reach it's 10 days retention period?

Monday, January 2, 2012 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Thats OK.

2: where do you geht this number of 13 Recovery Points. go to restore and check the time you can go back to restore your data. Is there 13 days or 10 days

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebokk.com/techguyat
    Monday, January 2, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

1. Thats OK.

2: where do you geht this number of 13 Recovery Points. go to restore and check the time you can go back to restore your data. Is there 13 days or 10 days

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebokk.com/techguyat
    Hello Seidlm,
    Thank you for helping out. The problem described in p.2 is that when you go to "Recovery" and select VM in the list, calendar shows more recovery points than expected. The retention period was set to 10 days, so I was not expecting recovery points older than 10 days.  But later I found out that recovery points were not made every day, and there was a 1-day "gap" somewhere inside, so retention time was counted starting from the last gap, and not from the earliest recovery point. I think it's right behavior, but it was not obvious from the beginning. So I need to wait until 10 days are passed from the last "gap" until now, and then all retention points before the gap will be merged into the replica.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:45 AM