SMS Provider question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hope you guys can help me here, as we have an odd issue with SMS Providers on our ConfigMgr 2012 servers (no SP).

Basically, if we look at the properties of our Primary Site it is showing that we have 3 SMS Provider Location servers - which we should only have 2.

If I run the 'Configuration Manager Setup' on the Primary -> Perform site maintenance or reset the site -> Modify SMS Provider configuration then there are only 2 SMS Provider servers listed in here that we can uninstall from.  These 2 servers are the correct ones for our design/needs.

If I try to add the 3rd server as a new SMS Provider (the additional one listed in the Site Properties as above) then a warning is shown stating that there is already an SMS Provider installed on this server and I can either continue to install again or cancel.  The servers are all clean, as in never been part of any SMS/ConfigMgr installations previously.

Question is, are we ok to continue to install the SMS Provider on the 3rd server (even though it says is already is), and hopefully this server will then be listed in the 'Manage SMS Providers' section of the Configuration Manager Setup for us to be able to do an uninstall? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks.

Neil

Neil Shenton

Friday, April 5, 2013 10:54 AM

All replies

• SMS Provider is not like a component or role, it's a WMI Provider that you can install on the Site Server or a Site System and is used to get information out of the DB for SDK and Console interactions. you can continue

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:02 AM
  • Thanks for the info Sharad. 

I appreciate that the SMS Provider isn't a component/role, but wasn't sure if installing it on the server and it giving the warning that is is already a SMS Provider, (but the server isn't listed in the 'uninstall' section), would cause any issues.

I will give it a try and hopefully on installing (or reinstalling as ConfigMgr seems to think :)) the SMS Provider, I should be able to uninstall correctly. 

Neil Shenton

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Hi Guys. 

I have finally got around to installing the SMS Provider on the server that is listed in the Site Server Properties but not in the 'Configuration Manager Setup Wizard'.   I got the warning saying that there is already the SMS Provider installed on the server, but continued with the install.

The install completed successfully and now both the Site Server properties and the 'Configuration Manager Setup Wizard' are showing 3 SMS Providers.

I then uninstalled the SMS Provider (via the ConfigMgr Setup Wizard) on the server we do not want the SMS Provider on.  Uninstallation was showing as successful, but there are still 3 Providers listed in the Site Server Properties and only 2 in the ConfigMgr Setup Wizard.

Any ideas how I can get the SMS Provider removed from the 3rd server as I did hope that an install and then uninstall as descibed above would have cured this?

Thanks.

Neil

Neil Shenton

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Hi...

Any ideas? Still investigating this, but still no luck in sorting the issue..

Cheers...

Neil

Neil Shenton

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:18 AM