USB doesn't work after resume from standby/hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• This issue just recently appeared, and I can't figure out the cause for it - possibly a Windows Update. I have Windows Vista Ultimate, and I always standby (not shut down) when I'm not using my computer. Just a few weeks ago, I'm not sure the exact time, when I resumed from standby my mouse didn't work! I just used my touchpad and figured it was a one-time occurrence. Next time I restarted, same problem. Then I figured out that this is the case for all USB devices - when I have my iPod plugged in and go into standby, it's not recognized when I come out of standby, nor are any USB devices. Removing and re-plugging them doesn't work, and new devices don't work either. The power doesn't even come on. It's as if the USB ports are off and not receiving data at all. The only cure is to restart the computer, and then the USB ports work perfect - until I standby or hibernate again.

So, for now I've been leaving my computer on all the time. I really don't like doing that since it's a laptop, but I hate the inconvenience of shutting it down, only to start it up minutes later because I forgot to do something.

I really don't even begin to know what this problem stems from. I don't think I installed anything new, and certainly nothing that would interfere with USB functionality, at the time. The only thing I can figure is it is probably a result of some Windows Update or driver incompatibility.

Oh, and my laptop is a Dell E1705 with a Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz, 2gb ram. It has 6 usb ports and 1 firewire port. I have no way to test if the problem also exists on the firewire port, because I have no firewire devices.

Please let me know what I should try, or what other info you need to better help me.

Thanks!
    -Ricky C.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 3:10 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem with brand new Compaq V3000, I use an external keyboard and mouse, and have to leave it on all the time to avoid this annoying issue. This will kill my notebook cpu's fan

Please somebody in MS Help!

Pedro

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:20 AM
  • I found another side effect of this problem. After I have gone into standby or hibernate and resumed, then when I try to shut down or restart, it gets stuck on the "Shutting down..." screen and never turns off until I hold the power button for 5 seconds. And I mean never - I thought it might just be doing something so I left it at that screen for a long time, and there was no hard drive activity or anything. It just gets stuck.

I hope this helps. If I don't get an answer soon I'm probably going to back up, reformat, and start over, as painful as that will be. That's how important standby and hibernate are to me.

-Ricky C.
    Saturday, October 6, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Yes, I have this same annoying problem.  I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 laptop with Windows Home Premium.  My problem is when I restart, my Targus mini optical USB mouse does not work.  I also experience the "freeze on Shutting Down" problem when after going into standby or hibernation and them resuming and then trying to shut down. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:34 AM
  • I've got pretty much the same symptoms with my computer, but have noted that it is strictly related to things that contain USB-hubs. Ie. when i run my standard setup with External USB-drive, Mouse, Printer, Scanner, Ipod and other things everything is fine,

BUT, if I add an extarnal USB hub (in my case a DLink DUB-H4), a no name USB-Hub without power or even my Apple Keyboard (that contains a 2 port HUB) I get the problems with USB not working after hibernation/sleep, or even when restarting.

If I do a restart and the plug in the USB-Hub, it works fine until next restart.

I've tried the USB-related Windows Updates that where posted a couple of days ago with no luck...

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Well I fixed it... Mostly...

Open start and type Device Manager and then hit enter, to start the device manager. Click the + next to "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and then in that list, you should see some devices called "USB Root Hub". For each of those, right-click, hit properties, go to the Power Management tab, and uncheck the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Then restart.

It seems to make my computer work better but things are still acting funny... Some of my programs are crashing at seemingly-random times, things stall, and I still have occasional USB quirks. These problems are bugging me real bad. I don't have the time to deal with backing up and reformatting, but as soon as I do, that's what I'll try. The part that bugs me the most is that this is a Vista problem, not specific programs. These programs do not normally crash, they only started around the same time that the USB started acting funny. It's one matter when I can stop using a program, or uninstall it, but the only alternative to Vista is a flavor of Linux and I don't have the time right now to get back in the Linux scene. If any MS developers are reading this... you need to help us help you - tell us how we can provide you with diagnostic information so that you can fix this problem.

Oh, and for users of Windows XP, the above steps generally apply, except to get to the device manager you will have to press Windows key + Pause/Break to open the System dialog, and then go to the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:57 PM
  • checked for a newer system bios?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Hi!

I'll try the Power Management fix that Ricky suggests as soon as I get home tonight, even if it creates new problem...

And, the strange thing is that this is a Vista problem only... Running UBUNTU for instance (or even XP) doesn't create this problem, something at seems to rule out problem with the BIOS!

With regards to Bios: Yes, I'm using the last one and has actually even tried a couple of older Bios as well without any luck.

Thanks for the help, any other suggestions is highly appreciated.

/Mikael
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:57 AM
  • This looks very promising:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600

I just installed it, haven't restarted yet. I'll see how my computer acts over the next few days, and let you all know how it goes. Also, I think I will re-enable those power management options; maybe they are supposed to be checked normally? I'll see what happens and report back here soon, and I encourage everyone else to do the same!

-Ricky C.
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 3:28 AM
  • I got the same problem too. Partly, it was bios. My chipset is VIA. Hyperion v5.12 was in the original package with the machine inf v2.9 After I install Hyperion v5.13A with machine inf 2.90A, the problem was partly solved. It's partly because occasionally the problem will occur again. I also download the kb, but seems to have no effect

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:31 PM
  • I just don't understand how it could be the BIOS, because I did not change it, and also because I have the newest BIOS available.

The patch partially fixed my problem; it reduced the frequency of it. Instead of the mouse being disabled after every wake up from standby, it works most of the time, but about 1 in 5 times it will just not work, and then I have to restart the computer. Also, now, sometimes when I go to standby it blanks the screen but doesn't actually turn off the computer (fans still run, power light stays solid lit, keyboard lights still on). Then I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off and then when I turn it back on, Windows boots all over again (and anything I might have been doing is lost).

Sorry, I don't remember whether Windows gets stuck on the "Shutting down..." screen after I shut down when my mouse stops working.

I don't think it's a BIOS issue, I mean, maybe that's a slight factor, but why would it just appear out of the blue? I haven't messed with my BIOS for months. It doesn't make any sense. Computers react to changes, and the BIOS was not changed. Software was changed - via Windows Updates - and I really think it was an update that caused the problem.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the patch at least helped, though it didn't completely solve the problem. I will reformat within the next month or two, but I think for now I'll just put up with it. It's not so bad any more. If anyone finds anything else to try, let me know.

-Ricky C.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:01 AM
  • I have exaclty the same problem on my toshiba satellite m300 running vista business.
    The computer hangs while shutting down as well.
    I don't always have problems when it standbys though.
    I tried the hotfix mentioned above, yet it wouldn't install on my computer is says it does not apply to my system.
    I also did bios update yet the problem still exists.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:42 AM