none
MMC.exe crash on Windows Server 2012

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to add a custom attribute in Active Directory. I followed the steps mentioned on TechNet:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20319.how-to-create-a-custom-attribute-in-active-directory.aspx

I was able to create the attribute and then add this attribute to User class. But while adding this attribute to user class, I got an error.

MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC.

After this error I am experiencing MMC crash every time click on Apply button whenI try to add attribute to user class. Please help me in resolving this error.

Thanks and Regards,

Nitin Manware

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, the console may crash and usually this occurs when you do not save it. If you re-open the console the change should be present.

Besides, please make sure your Server is up-to-date.

If the issue persists, please help to collect some screenshots about the error.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

I saved and reopened the console. Still the crash occurs. What I did is:

In MMC, I added "Active Directory Schema" snap in. I went to "Classes". Opened properties of  "user" class. Now when I click on Apply it shows error "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. After this when I click on OK button MMC crashes.

Thanks,

Nitin

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:16 AM
  • Hi Nitin,

Please check if the below link helps:

https://hypervdotco.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/create-custom-attribute-in-active-directory/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:40 AM