none
Visual Reports (Using Project Professional 2007) with Project Server 2010 getting error "Operation Requires that you have Excel 2003 or greater on your computer" RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I'm getting an error when attempting to use Visual Reports.  The error I'm getting and I've seen in other blogs as well is that "Operation Requires that you have Excel 2003 or greater on your computer".  From what I've read it sounds like Visual Reports is looking server side for excel or visio and the reference in the message to "your computer" has nothing to do with my client side machine at all.  If that is the case I will need to get Office and Visio installed server side.  Is that the case?

If not can someone explain why this is not recognizing my 2010 version of excel client side.  Is there some configuration I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:14 PM

Answers

• Easily fixed.  Just take the Excel.exe file and copy/paste from your Program
    Files/Microsoft Office/Office14 folder to the Office12 folder.

As near as I can tell, Project is looking for the file in Office12.

I think you also need to restart Project after doing so.

-A

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's not the case. Installing Excel on the server will not help you. Visual Report is a feature available to Project Standard and has nothing to do with Project Server.

It seems to be a version compatibility trouble. Microsoft Project 2007 simply doesn't recognize Excel 2010 as a valid version. It works fine with Excel 2003 and 2007, though. Project 2010 will work fine with Excel 2010 on the same machine, so no Excel setting should be causing the trouble. We can only hope this will be fixed soon.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Easily fixed.  Just take the Excel.exe file and copy/paste from your Program
    Files/Microsoft Office/Office14 folder to the Office12 folder.

As near as I can tell, Project is looking for the file in Office12.

I think you also need to restart Project after doing so.

-A

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for the update (I think) :-)

I guess someone on the BCM team fell asleep at the wheel on this one...  Like you said hopefully there is a patch soon as its unlikely I would get $$$ to upgrade all my Project Pro users to 2010.

Thanks again..

Don.

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Andrew you are now my hero!!!!  This worked like a charm!!

Thanks man!

Donald R. Landry
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Hi, I am having the same problem, I am using MS Project 2010 and I have excel 2013, I try to copy the file from the office14 folder but i don't have any excel file in that folder nor in the folder office12. I am using office 365 and maybe that is why i don't have the file, anyway can you tell me please how I can fix this error to be able to see the visual reports of my project
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 3:40 PM