none
Limit assignment of resources to availability Options RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I am using Project Server 2007.  I know from using a previous
    version of Server that you can configure Server to only allow
    resources to be assigned to a task if the resource has availability.
    For example, if John has 6 hours a day for which he can be scheduled
    for projects, once those 6 hours have been assigned, John cannot be
    assigned to any other tasks on that day.  I don't recall how to
    configure Server to do that.  Can someone point me in the right
    direction?  Thanks.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

that is not possible with Project Server 2007. And I am not sure if it makes sense? PM A shall not be allowed to plan his project because PM B has planned a task for the same day for a specific resource? In my opinion, there is a need for some communications and decisions in this case, no system restriction?

To achieve something similar, I can only think of enabling automatic levelling. But I am not sure if a PM will be happy with this solution?

However, with Project Server 2007 you have a lot of possibilities to identify overallocated resources. Someone will have to decide how to handle this, like change resource allocation or postponing a task or even a whole project.

Regards
    Barbara

By the way: Please ask your question only once. Depending on special skills, most of people answering here are looking at all project forums here. Thanks!

Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

that is not possible with Project Server 2007. And I am not sure if it makes sense? PM A shall not be allowed to plan his project because PM B has planned a task for the same day for a specific resource? In my opinion, there is a need for some communications and decisions in this case, no system restriction?

To achieve something similar, I can only think of enabling automatic levelling. But I am not sure if a PM will be happy with this solution?

However, with Project Server 2007 you have a lot of possibilities to identify overallocated resources. Someone will have to decide how to handle this, like change resource allocation or postponing a task or even a whole project.

Regards
    Barbara

By the way: Please ask your question only once. Depending on special skills, most of people answering here are looking at all project forums here. Thanks!

Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:30 AM
  • CJ:

In additiona to Barbara's reply, I'd like to point out that this has never been possible to configure Project Server, including it's very first iteration, Project Central, to behave this way. Perhaps you were using a third-party application to create this behavior, but it is not a native capability.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Thanks very much; that's a tremendous help.  Now that I think about it, there was customized code developed to limit hours as described.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:37 PM