SQL Management console 2008 will not open. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    I have an install of SQL Server 2008 on a 64bit Windows 2008 server. The installtion has been present for a couple of months and has been running succesfully up until now however when we try to launch the console executable, it tries to open up and flashes on the screen for a split second but then just dissapears. 
    I have tried all the obvious things like a reboot and a repair on the install but still not had any luck. Does anybody have any ideas? 
    Any help will be much appreciated. 
    Peter.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check the application log and see if the process is crashing for the management studio. If the process fails then it should create an application dump and recored it in the application log.

a few other things.

1. Can you manage the SQL instance from another server?

2. Are you sure the license key was correct entered? I have the console stop after the 180 day trial.

Cheers

Craig

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by PeterFoulkes Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hi guys. 

Thanks all for your input. I have no explanation as to what was happening at that point in time but I can confirm that it is now fixed. The issue was not specific to one user on the server as all users were experiencing the problem. 
    There was no errors or warns in the event viewer indicating a problem and the issue lasted for around 48 hours.  No windows updates went in and I was the only person to work on the server so I know that nobody else made any changes. 

I could at the time manage the instance from another server so the database engine seemed fine. 

Vet strange... but fixed!

Thanks for your help. 

Peter. 

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:15 AM

All replies

• Are you seeing anything out of the ordinary in your event logs or SQL Server Error log?
    John Eisbrener - http://dbaeyes.com/
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

Check the application log and see if the process is crashing for the management studio. If the process fails then it should create an application dump and recored it in the application log.

a few other things.

1. Can you manage the SQL instance from another server?

2. Are you sure the license key was correct entered? I have the console stop after the 180 day trial.

Cheers

Craig

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by PeterFoulkes Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hi guys. 

Thanks all for your input. I have no explanation as to what was happening at that point in time but I can confirm that it is now fixed. The issue was not specific to one user on the server as all users were experiencing the problem. 
    There was no errors or warns in the event viewer indicating a problem and the issue lasted for around 48 hours.  No windows updates went in and I was the only person to work on the server so I know that nobody else made any changes. 

I could at the time manage the instance from another server so the database engine seemed fine. 

Vet strange... but fixed!

Thanks for your help. 

Peter. 

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Thank you for your post back.It is glad to hear your issue fixed!

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:01 PM