none
setting project access based on groups and categories RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have two sets of users (BPI and marketing).  We'd like to be able to restrict what type of project a user group can view in project centre.  We assume that this is to be done via groups and categories.

Here's what we've done.

1. added a user to the project managers group

2. given that group the "my projects" category

3. in the project manager, edit group page, I've selected the "my projects" category and in the categories section I've given full project permissions

Unfortuantely that pm resource can still see projects that they are not associated with. They aren't the project owner, aren't on any tasks and are not a member of the project team.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Noel

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:34 PM

Answers

• Solved it.

The projects that the user wasn't supposed to see but was still able to were those projects that they had been previously associated to.  Removing them from the project didn't show up in their view until the project was published.

• Marked as answer by willow1044a Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:33 PM

All replies

• Solved it.

The projects that the user wasn't supposed to see but was still able to were those projects that they had been previously associated to.  Removing them from the project didn't show up in their view until the project was published.

• Marked as answer by willow1044a Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:33 PM
  • willow1044a --

Thanks for your persistence in finding the solution to your own problem, and thanks for sharing the solution as well.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:42 PM