none
Importing resources from existing project plans to the enterprise pool RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to import resources from existing project plans to the enterprise pool?  If not, after adding the resource to the pool, how do I link it to existing projects?  I noticed several people showed up in the pool with a blue square next side their names.  Maybe our IT folks entered these peoples names because I didn't and their email addresses are correct.  These peoples capacities along with their assigned projects are working correctly.  I'm new to Project Online and fumbling thru on getting things set up.  Anyone have any good reading material or guidance?
    Friday, February 26, 2016 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you can't import resource directly from existing plans. You need to create them from Resource Center. This is a task for administrators, PMs normally do not have permission to perform this action.

If you have resources in your project, with exact matching of names, you will be asked if these local resources should be replaced by enterprise resources with matching names. Seems that this happened already for some of the resource, since you can see correct e-mail addresses. Since you miss others, you will need to ask your IT guys to add the missing ones in resource pool.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:29 AM
  • I agree with Barbara. There are permissions you need to have before you can import resources to a enterprise resource pool and your IT guys probably have those permissions.

If you do have the rights to do this: Make sure your project pro is connected to the PWA, open the existing schedule, go to the resource ribbon, select the "Add resources" dropdown and select the last option "Import resources to Enterprise".

Make sure you walk through the entire wizard (left menu bar that pops up), and be sure to set all options correctly. In step 2 for instance you need to set the "Import" field to Yes for every resource you want to import to the enterprise (Project Online).

On your question about reading material I can point you to the book reviews I have done on my blog: http://bit.ly/TPC_Bookreviews

Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can't import resource directly from existing plans. You need to create them from Resource Center. This is a task for administrators, PMs normally do not have permission to perform this action.

If you have resources in your project, with exact matching of names, you will be asked if these local resources should be replaced by enterprise resources with matching names. Seems that this happened already for some of the resource, since you can see correct e-mail addresses. Since you miss others, you will need to ask your IT guys to add the missing ones in resource pool.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:29 AM
  • I agree with Barbara. There are permissions you need to have before you can import resources to a enterprise resource pool and your IT guys probably have those permissions.

If you do have the rights to do this: Make sure your project pro is connected to the PWA, open the existing schedule, go to the resource ribbon, select the "Add resources" dropdown and select the last option "Import resources to Enterprise".

Make sure you walk through the entire wizard (left menu bar that pops up), and be sure to set all options correctly. In step 2 for instance you need to set the "Import" field to Yes for every resource you want to import to the enterprise (Project Online).

On your question about reading material I can point you to the book reviews I have done on my blog: http://bit.ly/TPC_Bookreviews

Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:26 PM