none
AV script for AVG Antivirus RRS feed

Answers

• Hello Bobby1041,

Unfortunately, AVG Antivirus is not officially supported by SteadyState currently. We do not have existing script for this product. As we do not support custom script development in this forum, you will need to write your own custom update script. When you write a custom script, please pay attention to the following:

1. Custom scripts must be written so that they return only after actions in the custom script have been completed.

2. If a custom script update on a Windows SteadyState computer requires any resources during a scheduled update, such as a valid network connection, the resource must be available at the time of the update.

3. If AVG shows any blocking UI (for example, a dialog that requires user interaction), then the updates will fail.

Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:23 AM
  • Bobby,

although the development of so-called "Security program" scripts is not supported by Microsoft in this forum, it is not that difficult to do yourself if you have some in depth knowledge of PC's and if you can track down the update process of AVG Antivirus.

I've done it myself for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v. 8.0i and v. 8.5 i as described in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1811683&SiteID=69

Please read the whole thread, since J.C. Doll and Sammy Yu (from Microsoft) provide some essential information.

As you'll see, I've not used Terence Liu's approach of developping a custom update script that you can instruct Windows SteadyState to run, since I wanted to reserve that option for future use. Instead I've made WSS recognize the versions of McAfee VirusScan we use by comparing the Microsoft developped scripts contents with the anti-virus program's update actions performed.

It boils down to two things:
    * adapt file XML\SoftwareUpdates.XML, to make WSS recognize the anti-virus software you use
    * develop an update script for AVG Antivirus by analogy with existing scripts in the Scripts folder.

In file XML\SoftwareUpdates.XML, you need to add an extra paragraph between "<software" and "/>" delimiters. The lines in that paragraph describe registry entries that will be used or created by WSS in the detection process of your "Security program" (= your anti-virus software). These lines are respectively:

1. identification strings:
    - "id" will be the name of the key in the registry where all the subsequent information is saved under (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit\UpdatableSoftware)
    - "name" is what is displayed by WSS in the Schedule Software Updates window under "Security Program Updates"
    (you can choose their values yourself, but I suspect they must be unique)

2. detection elements:
    - "detectionPath" holds the path to the entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive where the item used for the detection can be found
    - "detectionName" holds the name of the value used as the item for detection, usually the name of an installation folder
    - "append" holds the name of the executable that does the updating of the Security Program
    (combined, these three identify your Security Program and the exeutable by which it is updated)

3. WSS update script information:
    - "scripts" holds the name of the WSS update script
    - "category" is the type of Security Program (the only known type for now is Anti-Virus)

For the update script you can use a copy of the Scripts\SCTMcAfeeVirusUpdate.vbs script as a template. The only changes I had to apply where near the end of the script in the sections "Set application path "and "Download Virus Signature". It is advisable to adapt the name of global variable "sMcAfeePath" to something more appropriate, like "sAVGPath", so you need to change that too. sMcAfeePath points to a registry string that has the actual application path as its value. In the final call to start the update process the string ' "\mcupdate.exe" & chr(34) & " /Schedule" ' (leave the double quotes!) must be replaced with the executable and command line options that are applicable for AVG Antivirus. Take care not to mess around with the spaces in the argument of that call and be sure to save the adapted update script in the Scripts folder.

Finally: please note that to make any changes applied to the SoftwareUpdates.XML file effective, the machine must be rebooted, with Windows Disk Protection off, of course.

HTH.
    (hope this helps)

Jan J.

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Okay, note that I "cheated" by adding the link to the part where you can run random scripts instead of registering it as a security program--so all I had to do was create a batch file.

There were two parts.  First I had to get a copy of AVG's AVGINET Lite file, avginetl.exe, and add it manually to the directory where AVG lives.  That lets you run an update without the interactive GUI.  Then I took what I need to do at the command line and use it to create a one line batch file, in this case:

"C:\Program Files\grisoft\AVG\avginetl.exe" /UPDATE_AVG /PRI=3

"/UPDATE_AVG" causes it to update the installed program, rather than just downloading the files.  This is the same progran the centralized version uses to download files for distribution.  "/PRI=3" tells it to get recommended updates.  To get only priority updates, it should be 2, while 4 gets optional ones and 5 gets all.

I assumed I had to put the batch file in a directory, instead of on the filesystem root, as one I wrote to shut the PC down didn't run til I put it in a directory.  And this is the network version of AVG.  I don't know if Grisoft has AVGINET Lite for the other versions.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hello Bobby1041,

Unfortunately, AVG Antivirus is not officially supported by SteadyState currently. We do not have existing script for this product. As we do not support custom script development in this forum, you will need to write your own custom update script. When you write a custom script, please pay attention to the following:

1. Custom scripts must be written so that they return only after actions in the custom script have been completed.

2. If a custom script update on a Windows SteadyState computer requires any resources during a scheduled update, such as a valid network connection, the resource must be available at the time of the update.

3. If AVG shows any blocking UI (for example, a dialog that requires user interaction), then the updates will fail.

Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:23 AM
  • Bobby,

although the development of so-called "Security program" scripts is not supported by Microsoft in this forum, it is not that difficult to do yourself if you have some in depth knowledge of PC's and if you can track down the update process of AVG Antivirus.

I've done it myself for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v. 8.0i and v. 8.5 i as described in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1811683&SiteID=69

Please read the whole thread, since J.C. Doll and Sammy Yu (from Microsoft) provide some essential information.

As you'll see, I've not used Terence Liu's approach of developping a custom update script that you can instruct Windows SteadyState to run, since I wanted to reserve that option for future use. Instead I've made WSS recognize the versions of McAfee VirusScan we use by comparing the Microsoft developped scripts contents with the anti-virus program's update actions performed.

It boils down to two things:
    * adapt file XML\SoftwareUpdates.XML, to make WSS recognize the anti-virus software you use
    * develop an update script for AVG Antivirus by analogy with existing scripts in the Scripts folder.

In file XML\SoftwareUpdates.XML, you need to add an extra paragraph between "<software" and "/>" delimiters. The lines in that paragraph describe registry entries that will be used or created by WSS in the detection process of your "Security program" (= your anti-virus software). These lines are respectively:

1. identification strings:
    - "id" will be the name of the key in the registry where all the subsequent information is saved under (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit\UpdatableSoftware)
    - "name" is what is displayed by WSS in the Schedule Software Updates window under "Security Program Updates"
    (you can choose their values yourself, but I suspect they must be unique)

2. detection elements:
    - "detectionPath" holds the path to the entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive where the item used for the detection can be found
    - "detectionName" holds the name of the value used as the item for detection, usually the name of an installation folder
    - "append" holds the name of the executable that does the updating of the Security Program
    (combined, these three identify your Security Program and the exeutable by which it is updated)

3. WSS update script information:
    - "scripts" holds the name of the WSS update script
    - "category" is the type of Security Program (the only known type for now is Anti-Virus)

For the update script you can use a copy of the Scripts\SCTMcAfeeVirusUpdate.vbs script as a template. The only changes I had to apply where near the end of the script in the sections "Set application path "and "Download Virus Signature". It is advisable to adapt the name of global variable "sMcAfeePath" to something more appropriate, like "sAVGPath", so you need to change that too. sMcAfeePath points to a registry string that has the actual application path as its value. In the final call to start the update process the string ' "\mcupdate.exe" & chr(34) & " /Schedule" ' (leave the double quotes!) must be replaced with the executable and command line options that are applicable for AVG Antivirus. Take care not to mess around with the spaces in the argument of that call and be sure to save the adapted update script in the Scripts folder.

Finally: please note that to make any changes applied to the SoftwareUpdates.XML file effective, the machine must be rebooted, with Windows Disk Protection off, of course.

HTH.
    (hope this helps)

Jan J.

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Got AVG to update from Steady State by using AVG's AVGINET Lite.  I wrote a batch file using it to update the local copy of AVG, and added that file as a script on the config page for Steady State's update function.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Could you share your working batch file? I believe that other customers will benefit from your sharing.

Best Regards,

Laura Zhang

Microsoft Online Community

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Okay, note that I "cheated" by adding the link to the part where you can run random scripts instead of registering it as a security program--so all I had to do was create a batch file.

There were two parts.  First I had to get a copy of AVG's AVGINET Lite file, avginetl.exe, and add it manually to the directory where AVG lives.  That lets you run an update without the interactive GUI.  Then I took what I need to do at the command line and use it to create a one line batch file, in this case:

"C:\Program Files\grisoft\AVG\avginetl.exe" /UPDATE_AVG /PRI=3

"/UPDATE_AVG" causes it to update the installed program, rather than just downloading the files.  This is the same progran the centralized version uses to download files for distribution.  "/PRI=3" tells it to get recommended updates.  To get only priority updates, it should be 2, while 4 gets optional ones and 5 gets all.

I assumed I had to put the batch file in a directory, instead of on the filesystem root, as one I wrote to shut the PC down didn't run til I put it in a directory.  And this is the network version of AVG.  I don't know if Grisoft has AVGINET Lite for the other versions.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Thank you for your great sharing.

Best Regards,

Laura Zhang

Microsoft Online Community

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

I have looked on the internet for over an hour trying to locate this avginetl.exe and have not had any luck in finding it. I looked at www.grisoft.com for it and I did Google it and found several references to it, but not for download. I found a similar file in the AVG free product called avginet.exe which runs the update, but as far as I can tell it requires user input. Is avginetl.exe only available in the paid version of AVG? If it is available for all AVG versions and can be downloaded please provide a known working link.

Thanks,

The MeltyMan

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Hi MeltyMan,

Please understand that pc_zen’s method may not work for other versions of AVG.

If you would like obtain this file, you can download and install a trial version of "AVG Admin 7.5 for Windows". After installation, this file can  be found in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG TCP Server\

The program can be downloaded from the following website:

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/31/us/crp/0

Please start from Enterprise Solutions -> AVG Internet Security Network Edition 7.5 -> Trial version

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Friday, September 14, 2007 10:14 AM
  • Hi again,

Windows SteadyState lists the following anti-virus programs that it knows how to update, they are:

• Computer Associates eTrust 7.0
    • McAfee VirusScan 2005
    • McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0
    • Windows Defender

Have any others been added to this list?

Thanks,

The MeltyMan

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:06 PM
  • In SteadyState Handbook, Windows SteadyState currently detects and includes scripts for updating the following security products:

Computer Associates eTrust 7.0

McAfee VirusScan

Windows Defender

TrendMicro 7.0

For other security programs, customers still need to write update scripts manually. This list will not be updated until the new version is released in the earlier next year.

Regards,

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:26 AM
  • I used the simple script provided by pc_zen but didn't use the AVGINET Lite, I used the AVGINET with a purchased copy of version 7.5.

"C:\Program Files\grisoft\AVG7\avginet.exe" /UPDATE_AVG /PRI=3

and it worked like a charm.

Thanks folks, these lists/forums are wonderful. 

Rob
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 6:34 PM
  • For anyone still having problems with Windows Steady State updates not working with AVG here is the solution I came to, with the help of this forum and others.

I use avg7.5 free version other versions may differ slightly in the features they offer which is why I had to go thru extra steps than pc_zen's solution.

First step I did was to make a shortcut to avginet.exe like so:

Target= "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avginet.exe" /sched=

Start in= "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7"

Shortcut key= none

run= Minimized

This shortcut allows you to run the avg updater without it ever prompting the user for an input

Then I made a batch file that ran the shortcut and put a small wait time in the batch file as well to give the system time to start its networking and download and install the entire update. Here is how it looked

@ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 -w 1000 > nul
    @ping 127.0.0.1 -n 15 -w 1000> nul
    "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avg update.lnk"
    @ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 -w 1000 > nul
    @ping 127.0.0.1 -n 420 -w 1000> nul

The first 2 lines make the file wait 15 seconds and the last 2 make the file wait 7 minutes, and the middle like runs the shortcut. The wait times are needed because steady state will automaticly restart the computer as soon the batch file and windows updates are completed.

Lastly i placed the batch file into the script folder of WSS and the shortcut with the AVG folder for neatness. Dont forget to place the custom script in the options in WSS.

I hope this helps someone else from wasting about 5 hours.

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  

I just want to add the script for AVAST anti-virus, I just want to delete the said anti-virus but I failed to do so, I dont understand why , I on and off my steady state but still i failed to delete until I read in this forum that there is a certain script for each anti-virus, so maybe you can help me what script can I use for AVAST anti -virus. Thanks in advance for immediate response.

PS. a little suggestions, specially to the programmer who made this Steady State, maybe you can simplified this appllication just like deepfreeze, without any complication for any anti-virus products, on and off , everything will be alright without having any script and make it more complicated especially to all of us not so expert in terms of application to use in our computer, make it simplified and user friendly.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:33 AM
  • found this link:

there are scripts in there for 7.5 and for 8.0
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:25 AM