none
Script not running through GPO

Question

• I have a vbscript that works through command line if I use cscript.  When I try to set up a startup script for the computer configuration policies, the script never runs on the client computers.  This is the first time deploying a script for me.  The file is shared on are DFS.  I didn't notice any event logs unless I am searching the wrong place.  Is there a parameter I have to enter or settings to change to allow this.  If UAC was a problem, wouldn't computer policies use system credentials versus user credentials in the case.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:11 PM

Answers

• Figured out that the DFS share is messed up on our primary DC.  Since every DC points to this DC sometimes the path gets screwed up causing the incorrect directory to pull up.  We fixed the issue and is now resolved.
    • Marked as answer by sek1212 Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which operating system are you targeting? Windows 8/8.1 has a built in 5 minute delay when running startup scripts.

More info here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/platformspfe/archive/2014/03/08/windows-8-1-logon-script-delay-group-policy-setting.aspx

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:22 AM
  • I have a vbscript that works through command line if I use cscript.  When I try to set up a startup script for the computer configuration policies, the script never runs on the client computers.  This is the first time deploying a script for me.  The file is shared on are DFS. 

How do you know the script doesn't run ? (what scripting language is used in your script?)(what does the script do?)(what error logging/handling is contained within the script?)

If you have placed the script on a share, and that share is available via DFS, what permissions have been granted to the script/folder?

Have you allowed for the necessary security permissions when running as a Startup Script (Startup scripts run as the computer identity not as a user identity. Does "Domain Computers" or "Authenticated Users" have permissions to the script/folder?
    OR Domain Users has permissions? (hint: computers are not member of Domain Users)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:59 AM
  • This is only targeting windows 7 enterprise/64bit
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Have you checked what is the default program for handling scripts?
    (you can check this with simple double click and see in which program the .vbs is opened)
    I had it very often that .vbs is opened with notepad..which cannot execute but only view
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 1:02 PM
  • Yes, I had checked that previously.  it is running on windows script host
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:27 PM
  • probably you are using a class that is not available through when the GPO starts the script an you receive a failure.

Have you tried to run "on error resume next" on and put a test output to a file at the end of the script to see if it is running or not?
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Figured out that the DFS share is messed up on our primary DC.  Since every DC points to this DC sometimes the path gets screwed up causing the incorrect directory to pull up.  We fixed the issue and is now resolved.
    • Marked as answer by sek1212 Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:45 PM