none
DPM 2010 - How to remove tape inventory job for non-existant library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We recently replaced our Quantum SuperLoader 3 with a new Dell TL2000.

The Quantum Tape Library was removed as per documentation in Technet and all PG's have been modified for the new library.

DPM 2010 is showing two failed "Fast Inventory" jobs every morning at 9:00 AM for this tape library which doesn't exist anymore.

I've found a similar post at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/16a4746b-c406-4bc2-8bb4-c53c12042648

I've run the PS script first listed and the results are:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName servername | select-object UserFriendlyName,IsOffline,Isenabled | Format-List

UserFriendlyName : Quantum SuperLoader
    IsOffline        : True
    IsEnabled        : True

UserFriendlyName : LTO Tape drive

UserFriendlyName : IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device

UserFriendlyName : IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library
    IsOffline        : False

UserFriendlyName : Quantum LTO 3 Tape Drive

UserFriendlyName : Quantum LTO 3 Tape Drive

UserFriendlyName : Quantum SuperLoader

The IBM drive and library are the only valid entries.

So then following the instructions in the next post I queryed the DB and I ended up with two rows:

libraryid                                GlobalLibraryID
    03748C7D-B53F-489D-AC5F-4A73CCB4BF30 4FFE54E1-FAE3-4FD1-A1ED-6742BFAC494C
    E25AA88F-6012-4B4F-9836-FAD7D39CB0F6 31C92DFC-738F-4C64-A99B-CF8EEBE6B7B7

So now I'm totally confused as to what to do next, the post says the query should only return one row but in my case it returned two.

Just not sure where to go from here, any assitance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The Sql script you ran will prevent any future scheduled inventory jobs for those libraries, you can cancel any scheduled ones for tomorrow 9:00am for those old libraries.  DPM does not remove old obsolete tape library / drive information so the power shell script will always return those entries, that is normal.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by rfdswa Friday, October 26, 2012 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The above query shows that you have two "Quantum SuperLoader"  libraries that are offline.  You will need to run the SQL Script twice, one for each library that is offline. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:14 PM
  • Umm thanks,

But which one of the Library ID's / Global Library ID's do I use?

The first one listed or the second?

Sorry but scripting isn't my forte and a little more hand-holding would help.

cheers,

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Follow the steps to run the script twice, once with one libraryid and globallibraryid of the first row returned and again with the ID's of the 2nd row returned.

That will disable and cancel inventories for the 2 missing libraries.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Thanks Mike,

Did exactly as you recommended - ran the SQL script for both sets of ID's, no errors were encountered and everything appeared to work.

Rebooted the server just to be sure.

However, the jobs are still scheduled and the "Quantum SuperLoader" is still listed as per the original post above. Any suggestions on what to try now?

Inventory jobs are still listed and were just attempted about 3 minutes ago.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

The Sql script you ran will prevent any future scheduled inventory jobs for those libraries, you can cancel any scheduled ones for tomorrow 9:00am for those old libraries.  DPM does not remove old obsolete tape library / drive information so the power shell script will always return those entries, that is normal.

• Marked as answer by rfdswa Friday, October 26, 2012 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Ahh,

Sorry to be such a nag.

So I should cancel the Jobs tomorrow (Thursday) when they show up and then from then on they will no longer show up (e.g. Friday, Saturday, etc)?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:42 AM