none
Issue assigning resources and importing projects in Project 2013 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Sorry about the cryptic title but I have two issues that seem to be the result of the same cause.  Note that I am using Project Pro for O365 and have the most current update.

    Issue 1, assigning resource to task

    Situation: Create a task of two days using either fixed work or fixed units.  Expose the Details Pane (split screen).  Assign a resource to the task with a unit value of 75% and no work.

    Result: The behavior in Project 2010, in earlier updates of Project 2013, and in Project 2016 Preview is that the resource would be assigned at 75% for the two days resulting in 12 hours of work.  The behavior recently changed in Project 2013 (like sometime after July 2015) in which the resource is now assigned 16 hours and the duration of the task is extended to 2.67 days.

    Issue 2: Remaining work changes when importing projects to Project Server and mapping resources

    Situation: Have a project that contains resource assignments at various assignment units, and with at least some remaining work.  Import the project to Project Server 2013 using any of the following options (1) Import Project to Enterprise, (2) automatically map the resource name during a save as using the same name, or (3) save the project to Project Server and then replace the resource with an enterprise resource.

    Result: Remaining work changes in all occasions.  This was not the case historically (but I can’t remember the last time I tried it).  It does appear to work as expected in Project 2016.

    I do believe these two issues are related to the same cause which is why I am including them together.  Can anyone verify either of these issues or have any additional information they can share?  Thank you in advance for any help you can share on these issues.


    Larry Christofaro, PMP, MCITP

    Saturday, September 19, 2015 5:16 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    My build should be the latest:

    I get 12h and Duration of 2d still, following your instructions. This problem sounds like you already have the assignment then edited something to cause the duration to re-calculate.

    Don't have a project server instance to import with at the moment, but remaining work should not change. The dates might as the schedule would recalculate with Enterprise Calendars, but that won't change remaining work.


    Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

    Saturday, September 19, 2015 10:16 PM
    Moderator
  • Rod, thanks for the reply. Now that makes things really strange. That particular issue was just posted on the MPUG forum by someone who teaches Microsoft Project and I got the same result she did. It was only then that I thought it might be related to my import issue that happened a week ago. I get that result with a new project, new task, and new resource.  It's a pretty simple scenario so I know it happens, and the fact that I perform the exact same steps in Project 2010 and 2016 with the exact same options tells me something is amiss. I'll keep testing, but I'd like to keep this open and hopefully someone else gets similar results (if just to know I'm not going crazy).

    Larry Christofaro, PMP, MCITP

    Saturday, September 19, 2015 10:56 PM
  • One more note is to set the task to auto-scheduled.  Manually scheduled tasks work as expected.  I keep testing getting the same result.

    Larry Christofaro, PMP, MCITP

    Saturday, September 19, 2015 11:19 PM
  • All my tasks are auto-scheduled. Always.

    Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

    Sunday, September 20, 2015 8:16 PM
    Moderator