none
how to resolve error 5.7.54 RRS feed

• Question

• while setting up an app to send email we get the error 5.7.54 message unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain

Larry Boyd

Thursday, July 9, 2020 9:59 PM

Answers

• I used telnet per the article and received successful response. I set up permissions with the commands in the article and received correct responses. I don't know what I missed

Larry Boyd

Please see my previous comment:

What is set for the permissions and configuration of that receive connector. Please post all the exact and relevant information - including exact error messages

Are you testing telnet from the app server ( IP address) the connector is scoped to ?

Monday, July 13, 2020 9:33 PM
  • Hi Larry,

I'd like to follow up with you to see how everything is going on with this issue. Should there is any update or you would like further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

This Exchange Server 2016 - Mail Flow and Secure Messaging Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Exchange Server 2016 - Mail Flow and Secure Messaging Forum forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Marked as answer by ezlarryb Friday, July 17, 2020 6:18 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2020 1:47 AM

All replies

• while setting up an app to send email we get the error 5.7.54 message unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain

Larry Boyd

Typically, if you are using this app to send email through Exchange to external recipients, you follow this doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/connectors/allow-anonymous-relay?view=exchserver-2019

See the steps within

Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:34 PM
  • Hi Larry,

The error “5.7.54 message unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain” is related to the receive connector and usually occurs when an anonymous, unauthenticated sender tries to relay to external domain names.

As is suggested by Andy, please go through the article he shared to create a dedicated Receive connector for anonymous relay and configure the required permissions. Here is one more link about external SMTP relay for your reference:
    How to Configure Exchange Server 2016 for SMTP Application Relay 
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Any update, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2020 5:54 AM
  • after setting this up I am still getting same error. I am kind of confused on the permissions part

Larry Boyd

Friday, July 10, 2020 7:32 PM
  • after setting this up I am still getting same error. I am kind of confused on the permissions part

Larry Boyd

What specifically? Maybe we can help.
    Friday, July 10, 2020 7:42 PM
  • how do I add anonymous user to the receive connector

Larry Boyd

Friday, July 10, 2020 8:41 PM
  • how do I add anonymous user to the receive connector

Larry Boyd

Go right to step 2 and follow that:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/connectors/allow-anonymous-relay?view=exchserver-2019#step-2-configure-the-permissions-for-anonymous-relay-on-the-dedicated-receive-connector

Set-ReceiveConnector "Anonymous Relay" -PermissionGroups AnonymousUsers

Get-ReceiveConnector "Anonymous Relay" | Add-ADPermission -User "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON" -ExtendedRights "Ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient"

Friday, July 10, 2020 9:00 PM
  • have followed steps tested with telnet but still does not work

Larry Boyd

Monday, July 13, 2020 8:31 PM
  • have followed steps tested with telnet but still does not work

Larry Boyd

Testing how and from what server?

What is set for the permissions and configuration of that receive connector. Please post all the exact and relevant information

Monday, July 13, 2020 8:37 PM
  • I used telnet per the article and received successful response. I set up permissions with the commands in the article and received correct responses. I don't know what I missed

Larry Boyd

Monday, July 13, 2020 8:53 PM

Larry Boyd

Please see my previous comment:

What is set for the permissions and configuration of that receive connector. Please post all the exact and relevant information - including exact error messages

Are you testing telnet from the app server ( IP address) the connector is scoped to ?

Monday, July 13, 2020 9:33 PM
  • I ran the commands from the article which should have set the permissions. I ran the test from the app server. Do I need to restart some Exchange services?

Larry Boyd

Monday, July 13, 2020 10:31 PM
  • I have went back through everything and checked all settings I ran the telnet test and everything is good I even received the test email but when we try a smtp tester it fails

Larry Boyd

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:19 AM
  • Hi Larry,

Could you please check the configuration and the permissions on the receive connector using the cmdlets below?

Get-ReceiveConnector "Anonymous Relay" | Format-List Enabled,TransportRole,Bindings,RemoteIPRanges
    Get-ADPermission "Anonymous Relay" -User "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON" | where {($_.Deny -eq $false) -and ($_.IsInherited -eq $false)} | Format-Table User,ExtendedRights

Note: Please replace "Anonymous Relay" with the name of the dedicated receive connector you created. Before posting the output, please do remember to remove any personal information involved like domain name or IP addresses, etc. for privacy concerns. Thanks for your understanding.

This Exchange Server 2016 - Mail Flow and Secure Messaging Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Exchange Server 2016 - Mail Flow and Secure Messaging Forum forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:36 AM
  • Hi Larry,

I'd like to follow up with you to see how everything is going on with this issue. Should there is any update or you would like further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

• Marked as answer by ezlarryb Friday, July 17, 2020 6:18 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2020 1:47 AM
  • Thank You, I seemed to have resolved it with the article you pointed me too

Larry Boyd

Friday, July 17, 2020 6:18 PM
  • Thank You, I seemed to have resolved it with the article you pointed me too

Larry Boyd

Great to know that you have sorted it sorted it out and glad to be of help :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:00 AM