How to move Documents and Settings and All Libraries To D drive to separate from the OS RRS feed

• Question

• I want to move my Documents and settings Folder to D drive so I can back up the OS separate from Data or at least move Libraries to D drive. I have partitioned my hard drive so that most of the space is on D drive and about 100G is on C drive. I can't understand why the old My Documents file structure was changed where now it is called Libraries and My Documents is a sub folder to that and My Music, My Picture etc are not in My Documents anymore. Let’s just randomly shuffle directories to enhance the Window 7 experience. If you have not already figured out I am an XP user. I know there is a way to do what I want to do because virtually all corporate systems are setup this way.

Oh how the heck to I get access to Documents and Settings? Well sometimes programs hide stuff there. Like why does Zune software hide your album art in documents and settings that you spent hours downloading and fixing so that when you move my music that all your album art does not go with it.

Perry

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:45 PM

Answers

• USERS!

C: / USERS !

And Libraries are only 4~kb XML files located in your AppData folder that point Windows to other folders. If you keep all of your music, pictures, and videos on a second hard disk simply adding the folder containing them in the library is enough. My documents is still problematic because applications keep their settings there frequently so you might need to redirect that, unfortunately.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the “My Documents and Settings“, has been replaced by "Users". The My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders in Windows XP are transferred to the following folders in Windows 7:

%systemdrive%\Users\user_name\Documents

%systemdrive%\Users\user_name\Music

%systemdrive%\Users\user_name\Pictures

%systemdrive%\Users\user_name\Videos

You can find your user files in the above folders and move them to the drive you like.

For more information, please refer to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930128

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930890

It applies to Windows 7.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:30 AM

All replies

• I want to move my Documents and settings Folder to D drive so I can back up the OS separate from Data or at least move Libraries to D drive. I have partitioned my hard drive so that most of the space is on D drive and about 100G is on C drive. I can't understand why the old My Documents file structure was changed where now it is called Libraries and My Documents is a sub folder to that and My Music, My Picture etc are not in My Documents anymore. Let’s just randomly shuffle directories to enhance the Window 7 experience. If you have not already figured out I am an XP user. I know there is a way to do what I want to do because virtually all corporate systems are setup this way .

Oh how the heck to I get access to Documents and Settings? Well sometimes programs hide stuff there. Like why does Zune software hide your album art in documents and settings that you spent hours downloading and fixing so that when you move my music that all your album art does not go with it.

Perry

Perry -
    I cannot answer your question, but the answer would interest me as well.  I bolded a statement there.  I did so because, if you continue to browse through the many pages of quesitons / comments in this thread, you'll find thatto be an INCORRECT assumption.  In fact it's more likely that, if you COULD do it in XP, you cannot do it under any circumstance in Win7.

John
    PS - I'd be THRILLED to find otherwise, especially for this question because I too keep the "programs and data" separate from the OS>  Even installed programs are installed to D.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:14 PM
  • USERS!

And Libraries are only 4~kb XML files located in your AppData folder that point Windows to other folders. If you keep all of your music, pictures, and videos on a second hard disk simply adding the folder containing them in the library is enough. My documents is still problematic because applications keep their settings there frequently so you might need to redirect that, unfortunately.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:35 PM
  • My question is similar so I will ask it here rather than start a new thread.  I used the Easy Transfer wizard to move files and settings from Win XP to new computer running Windows 7. User account is Smith and computer name is Smith-PC. So now I see three folders listed as Smith. One is on the desktop, the second is a high-level folder listed under Computer (along with Libraries, Network, Homegroup, etc), and the third is listed under C:/Users. They all have the same content, most of which carried over from the XP machine. My ultimate goal is to move data files to the second hard disk on the new machine and use the C: only for programs. So a few newbie questions: Can I delete some of these redundant Smith folders (I assume keep the one in C:/Users)? Since most of my data files are in Smith, how do I move that to the second disk and make that the default storage location for any new data generated from programs on the C: drive (like Word, Excel, etc)? From the response from Vistaline, it sounds like My Documents may be a problem,but I could leave that on C and create another for my Word docs on D.  For the others, is simply dragging the folders to D: enough?  I assume when I use a program on C:, I will have to direct it to save on D:(i.e., programs will not know that their folder has been moved from C)?
    Thanks
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the “My Documents and Settings“, has been replaced by "Users". The My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos folders in Windows XP are transferred to the following folders in Windows 7:

You can find your user files in the above folders and move them to the drive you like.

It applies to Windows 7.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:30 AM
  • Okay, so I did a Backup and then tried to drag the Users folder from C:/Users to the D:/ drive.  I got the error message, "Parameter is incorrect.  0x80070057."  What does that mean? 

I found a solution here:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html
    Onyl problem is it leaves behind in C:/Users empty folders that I can not delete and can not take ownership off.  Very odd.  I will leave them alone for now until I am sure everything works okay.
    • Proposed as answer by rokbottom47 Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:45 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

It applies to Windows 7.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

When I visit the two quoted knowledge base links from Windows 7 I get -

System TipThis article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you.Visit the Windows 7 Solution Center

In other words your reply does not apply to Windows 7.

Do you please have an answer which does apply to Windows 7?

Cheers,

Brian Towers

Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:03 PM
  • I'm not sure why there's 14 follow-ups to a very simple question: how to change the default location of library files in Windows 7...

• Open Windows Explorer, you should see 4 sections for your Windows 7 Library (these are setup on your C:/ drive -- probably in a Users folder). They are Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos.
    • In each section, there are "My"* folders (eg., for Documents, there is a My Documents folder)
    • Let's assume you'd like to maintain this folder naming convention, but just save everything in these folders to the D:/ drive. Then create four new folders in your D:/ drive: My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, My Videos
    • Go back to the default Library in Windows Explorer 
    • Right click on the the respective "My" * folder for each Library section (eg., for Documents, right click on My Documents)
    • Click on Properties
    • Click on Location
    • Click on Move button
    • Select the respective folder from your D drive (eg., the new My Documents folder you just created)
    • Apply - Ok

And everything really is ok now... : )

• Proposed as answer by rocketsk8s Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:31 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:31 AM
  • I'm not sure why there's 14 follow-ups to a very simple question: how to change the default location of library files in Windows 7...

• Open Windows Explorer, you should see 4 sections for your Windows 7 Library (these are setup on your C:/ drive -- probably in a Users folder). They are Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos.
    • In each section, there are "My"* folders (eg., for Documents, there is a My Documents folder)
    • Let's assume you'd like to maintain this folder naming convention, but just save everything in these folders to the D:/ drive. Then create four new folders in your D:/ drive: My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, My Videos
    • Go back to the default Library in Windows Explorer 
    • Right click on the the respective "My" * folder for each Library section (eg., for Documents, right click on My Documents)
    • Click on Properties
    • Click on Location
    • Click on Move button
    • Select the respective folder from your D drive (eg., the new My Documents folder you just created)
    • Apply - Ok

And everything really is ok now... : )

Great, what about moving Favorites (Desktop, Downloads, and Recent Places) to D drive? or should it be left on C Drive?
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Bump...
    Monday, March 5, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Well I can't believe I see all this mambo-jumbo about Libraries.

How I did it:

I first clicked on My Computer or simply in Windows 7 Computer

1. On left you see Libraries, click it, it will drop down with Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos

2. Click on each of them and check on top it says how many locations are pointing to that library, click on (2 Locations link)

3. Remove second location, Public one

4. Now go to your D: disk or partition and make new folder, or not (depends where you want (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos to display)

5. Just drag from first window My Documents with right mouse clicked to new location, after dropping item on new location pick option move, it will will ask some question accept it.

That is it, now your Libraries are stored on other partition or disk, and still pointing in your main as your documents, your libraries, etc.

• Edited by KovaZg Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Br3akspear Friday, April 19, 2013 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Hi there! Your instructions are very easy to follow but is this also applicable to windows 8? thanks for any immediate response.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for this pal, helped me a lot after installing OS to SSD from HDD this is just what I needed :-)
    Friday, April 19, 2013 12:42 PM
  • USERS!

Maybe not a good idea to chime into such an old thread, but...

The above quote appears to address the OP's objective, but in a style too cryptic for me (also an old XP user planning to install Windows 7) to follow.  The later response by rokbottom47 regarding advice that I had also found at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html might also successfully address the OP's objective; but rokbottom47 reported a (minor?) problem applying that technique, and I'm not sure that it won't cause other unexpected malfunctions.

A lot of the rest that I see in this thread does not appear to address the OP's objective, which I believe was to re-locate the **entire** (what used to be called in XP) "Documents and Settings" folder (or probably sufficiently and certainly safer, the **entire** sub-folder for a given user) to another volume in Windows 7 without messing up anything else.  That one action might take care of re-locating the "My Documents," "My Music," etc. user-data folders (maybe even the Outlook PST file?) directly, or the user's "libraries" (and Outlook itself?) might also need to be tweaked (as explained elsewhere) to accomplish this.

So can you or somebody else please clarify the sanctioned technique for moving an entire user folder (is that the same thing as the "User Profile" or is it something less extreme?) to another volume?  Or is this simply not a good idea, as I've been told in another forum? -- JCW2

• Edited by JCW2 Friday, January 24, 2014 5:11 PM
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 4:38 PM