none
Task Completion RRS feed

• Question

• I have a task scheduled as Fixed Work. I entered a value of 8 hours in the Work column and scheduled the start and end dates 5 days apart. (In other words I expected the task to take 8 hours and I knew it would be done sometime between those dates. It then ended up taking only 4 hours and I entered 4 in the Actual Work. I went and tried to mark the task as 100% complete but it wants to set the Actual Work to 8 instead of 4. I want it to show the original estimate and the fact that it was completed early and still show it is complete. What am I missing here? Thanks for your help.
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:37 PM

Answers

• You can baseline the task, which will save Baseline work as 8 hrs, then you can add Actual Work as 4hrs and remaining as 0hrs. this will automatically update % complete as 100; and would retain your Actual Work and Baseline Work to show that it completed ahead of time.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Rick, don't try to use the % complete field for maintaining task status in this case (or generally). Leave the % complete untouched (at 50%) and set the remaining work to 0.

Graham

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:45 PM

All replies

• Rick, don't try to use the % complete field for maintaining task status in this case (or generally). Leave the % complete untouched (at 50%) and set the remaining work to 0.

Graham

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:45 PM
  • p.s. the way to show the original estimate is with a baseline. With a 100% complete task, the (automatically updated) scheduled work is ALWAYS going to be equal to the actual work.
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thank you.
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:57 PM
  • You can baseline the task, which will save Baseline work as 8 hrs, then you can add Actual Work as 4hrs and remaining as 0hrs. this will automatically update % complete as 100; and would retain your Actual Work and Baseline Work to show that it completed ahead of time.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:25 PM
  • You have up to 11 baselines to use to save more then 1 baseline of project. 

If you want to baseline any particular task(s), and not the complete project, you can find the option of Selected Tasks withing Save Baseline dialog box. just select the option, and then select the required tasks and update the baseline values. Let us know if this helps.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, April 15, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Rick, if query has been answered you could close the thread by marking an answer.

Sapna Shukla

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:03 PM