SCCM 2012 RTM to SCCM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to look at my post. We are getting ready to upgrade to SCCM 2012 R2 in our environment.

We are currently on SCCM 2012 RTM, I know that there is no direct upgrade path on the version we are on. So with that being said here is a brief overview of our upgrade path to R2. Upgrade our existing 2012 RTM to SP1, upgrade our CAS, Primary Site, Distribution Points and Secondary Sites to SP1 from within the SCCM Console. Once that is done we will then upgrade to SCCM 2012 R2 and perform the same actions.

I was wondering once we are on SCCM 2012 R2, can I upgrade my existing SCCM clients (version 5.0.7711.0) to R2 with no issues? I am worried about the upgrade from 2012 RTM to SCCM 2012 R2- for my existing clients. Ideally we would like to only have to upgrade the existing clients once. I have read around the forums and other TechNet articles but cant seem to find a concrete answer in regards to mixed version hierarchy. From what I gathered it just states that functionality will be supported but limited until the client upgrades to the proper version.

Everything I have read so far mentions SP1 clients being upgraded to R2. If anyone can help answer this question it would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking things should upgrade just fine but just want to ensure I am not causing more work for myself down the road.

Thanks for your time.
    Joel

Monday, December 2, 2013 8:39 PM

Answers

• I've asked a very similar question and had it confirmed via MS Tech Support. There is no problem running RTM clients in R2 and you can just upgrade them when you are finally done with R2.

The catch is you just won't be able to use any new R2 features until both the client and hierarchy are updated. Once all clients in the Primary are at R2, they'll be able to use new features, whenever that happens in your timeline.

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Joel,

Everything I have read so far mentions SP1 clients being upgraded to R2.

This is because they publish that your hierarchy must already be upgraded to SP1 before you can do R2, which assumes that you actually upgraded your clients.

I can confirm what Jay said that clients continue to work for typical functions.  You do not have to upgrade the clients to SP1 before going to R2, just all of your infrastructure.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:34 AM

All replies

• I've asked a very similar question and had it confirmed via MS Tech Support. There is no problem running RTM clients in R2 and you can just upgrade them when you are finally done with R2.

The catch is you just won't be able to use any new R2 features until both the client and hierarchy are updated. Once all clients in the Primary are at R2, they'll be able to use new features, whenever that happens in your timeline.

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Jay thanks for taking the time to provide this input its much appreciated! I can live with the limited functionality until the clients upgrade to R2 no problem.

Again thanks and have a great day.

Joel

Monday, December 2, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Joel,

Everything I have read so far mentions SP1 clients being upgraded to R2.

This is because they publish that your hierarchy must already be upgraded to SP1 before you can do R2, which assumes that you actually upgraded your clients.

I can confirm what Jay said that clients continue to work for typical functions.  You do not have to upgrade the clients to SP1 before going to R2, just all of your infrastructure.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:34 AM