Hard drive constantly spooling down or up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few drives in my system.  I am running Vista Ultimate and have noticed that Vista will spool down the drives I am not actively using.  Unfortunately I believe this spooling down is causing various applications that appear to call to these drives to crash.

I have poked around to see if I can disable the spooling down of the hard drives but I have been unable to find anything.

I would like to try stopping the drives from spooling down and up (to see if it fixes the problem and also to save wear and tear on the drives) and am wondering where in the system I can adjust this setting.  Help please?!  Thanks!
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:21 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:08 AM
  • This is unfortunately the 2nd time I have posted here on Technet and neither time has anyone offered any assistance.

I was able to find an option in power settings to stop the drives from powering down.  In Vista Ultimate it was hidden and certainly not very easy to find.  For those of you with a similar issue, the setting is in Control Panel / Power Options / Change Plan Settings / Change Advanced Power Settings / Then choose hard disk and pick the setting best suited for your applications.

I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Thanks, i will try this.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:28 PM