none
MAP Timeout after 6 hours RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into an issue when running the MAP toolkit. I am scanning an IP range with about 65,000 IPs, I extended the timeout period of the sql command to 6 hours as indicated in a previous post. However, it still times out after 6 hours, & I have no usable data.

Is there a max timeout I can set it to? I was going to try 100,000.

Thank You for any help.

Kris

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:13 PM

All replies

• I'm not aware of a maximum. What are the specs of the machine running MAP? I was able to process a 13GB database with a similar scan, 16-bit IP subnet (65,534 IPs) with approximately 20,000 machines. It took about 2 hours on a Core i7 quad-core 1.6 Ghz with 6 GB RAM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:33 PM
  • I am running it on a Windows 7 Dell Optiplex 780 Intel Core 2 quad with 6 GB of RAM.

We have a lot of stores & I am scanning the IP ranges of the stores, as they are not in AD. What firewall ports do I need open?

Because it would be an issue if we have to start opening ports on hundreds of store routers. Could firewall issues be why it seems to take long?

Thank You.

Kris

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Wait, is the scan timing out or is the assessment failing because of timeout? The actual scanning phase isn't going to be affected by the SQL timeout you changed. That timeout is for the Assessment phase at the end when MAP looks for duplicate's, removes empty IP addresses, and process's and aggregates the data it has gathered.

What is the error you are seeing? And yes, depending on what inventory scenario you are running you will need to open ports to accommodate the remote access needs of the tool. I've found that it is generally a best practice to break up an inventory scan into small chunks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:58 PM
  • It fails at the end, so it scans all the IPs, and times out at the assessment phase.

I will look for the actual error.

Thanks

Kris

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:13 PM
  • In the MAP log file, look for the entries labeled "AssessInventoryWorker" and post them here. That should tell us where the assessment is having trouble.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:31 AM
  • I forgot to answer your question about the firewall ports. I will be posting this as a Wiki article or blog post soon.

In order for MAP to be successful, proper firewall configurations must be considered. The ports that need to be open depend on the collector technology being used. Each scenario on the “Inventory Scenarios” page of the inventory wizard uses different collector technologies and some collectors span multiple scenarios.

• WMI – Port 135 (DCOM/RPC) for initial connection, then a dynamically assigned port above 1024. This is a function of RPC/WMI and not MAP. Some firewalls, like Windows Firewall, allow you to specify exceptions for services, like WMI, rather than specific ports. Then the firewall takes care of opening the dynamically assigned ports for you. Some firewalls do not allow this and will require a range of ports to be opened. Consult your firewall’s documentation for more information.
    • SSH – Port 22. This is the default port MAP will use. In the inventory wizard, you can change the port that MAP uses if a non-default port is used in your environment.
    • VMware – Port 80 and/or 443. These are the default ports for HTTP and HTTPS respectively. In the inventory wizard, you can change the port that MAP uses if a non-default port is used in your environment.
    • PowerShell – 5985 and/or 5986. This is the default for PowerShell HTTP and HTTPS respectively. In the inventory wizard, you can change the port that MAP uses if a non-default port is used in your environment.
    • SQL Server – Port 1433 for default instances, 1434 for the SQL Server Browser Service. From the browser service, MAP learns the port numbers dynamically assigned by SQL Server or manually set by the user in order to access any named instances. See this support article for more information on named instance port numbers.
    • Oracle – 1521. This is the default port MAP will use. In the inventory wizard, you can change the port that MAP uses if a non-default port is used in your environment.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:41 PM