Computers appearing and dissapearing from console. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have acomplished the task of deploying anWSUS Windows 2012 R2 Server, and, to some point, it works well, but some things are happening that are getting me crazy.

In active directory, I have created several OU's for different configurations of Windows Update. I have created one to test servers, linked a GPO which assign the computers to the test group. In WSUS Console, the computers in that OU appear, report its status, I approve updates, they are installed.. everything appear to work well.

Now, I have created another OU called ReportServers. I have moved about 70 servers to that OU, and linked a GPO which assigns them to Server_Report WSUS Group of computers. I have not approve any update to that group.

As the time passes, the servers have been appearing in the WSUS console. But some of them, after a period of time, dissapears. After a time, they appears again. There are one of the servers that doesn't appear at all. I have veryfied that the GPO is being applied checking its registry settings, and the parameters are OK. Comunication exists between the server and WSUS. I have restarted the WSUS Service, executed wuauclt /registernow and wuauclt /detectnow.. No avail, the server doesn't appear in the console.

This, and the appearing and dissapearing servers, is getting me crazy. What can be happening?

Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Francisco,

>But some of them, after a period of time, dissapears. After a time, they appears again. There are one of the servers that doesn't appear at all.

We may select one computer has the issue then reset SUSclientID of the client, check if it could work.

1. Delete the value of "SusClientID" and "SusClientIDValidation" in registry key:

HKLM_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

2. open CMD, enter:

net stop wuauserv & net start wuauserv

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

You may also use the following script:

Reset WSUS Authorization and get new WSUS SID

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WSUS-Authorization-2e26d1b0

If the method could work, then apply the script on all affected computers to reset their SUSclientID.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 18, 2016 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Francisco,

>But some of them, after a period of time, dissapears. After a time, they appears again. There are one of the servers that doesn't appear at all.

We may select one computer has the issue then reset SUSclientID of the client, check if it could work.

1. Delete the value of "SusClientID" and "SusClientIDValidation" in registry key:

HKLM_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

2. open CMD, enter:

net stop wuauserv & net start wuauserv

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

You may also use the following script:

Reset WSUS Authorization and get new WSUS SID

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WSUS-Authorization-2e26d1b0

If the method could work, then apply the script on all affected computers to reset their SUSclientID.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 18, 2016 2:37 AM
  • It worked like a charm!! Thank you very much!!

Friday, March 18, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Hi Francisco,

Glad to hear it :)

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, March 18, 2016 8:31 AM