Using AutoText in Word Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I now have Office 365 on my new notebook and have created an Autotext entry. However, F3 used to be the key to press to retrieve the full text. Won't work on this new version. How do I do this? I am a writer and will be FURIOUS if I  can't retrieve my AutoText entries quickly and easily. I use this a great deal as I am a writer

Friday, November 4, 2016 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi CrankyAussie,

From the description of the thread it looks like your issue is related with word application.

So for better response and better solution to your issue I move this thread to Word it pro discussion forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:57 AM
  • F3 should insert the AutoText entry (Building Block) whose name you have typed. In the Customize Keyboard dialog box (File | Options | Customize Ribbon | Customize), verify that F3 is associated with the InsertAutoText command.

As an alternative, try the option to "Show AutoComplete suggestions" at File | Options | Advanced. Word will suggest an entry for you, and you accept the insertion by pressing Enter.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, November 11, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Different computer as well as different version of Word?

Your manufacturer may have preempted the function keys. There is usually a BIOS switch for this.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Hi, I'm bumping up this thread because I have the same question. I'm thinking about upgrading to Office 365. I use Word in my work as a technical editor, especially the Autotext function with the F3 key. 
    I type the Autotext name and press F3 to retrieve the full text. This function is critical to my work. Can I still do this on Word in Office 365? tia
    Sunday, December 29, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Hi, I'm bumping up this thread because I have the same question. I'm thinking about upgrading to Office 365. I use Word in my work as a technical editor, especially the Autotext function with the F3 key. 
    I type the Autotext name and press F3 to retrieve the full text. This function is critical to my work. Can I still do this on Word in Office 365? tia

Using F3 to insert (the contents of) an AutoText entry still works in the most recent version of Word.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Thursday, January 2, 2020 8:22 PM
    Sunday, December 29, 2019 9:49 PM