none
Unexpected error PowerBI Report Server Aug 2018 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Recently i downloaded (at the same time) the PowerBI Report Server and PowerBI Desktop client (optimized for Report server).
    Both are the August 2018 version of PowerBI.

I installed the Desktop client on a Window 10 client and PowerBI Report Server on Windows 2012 R2

In Report Server i created a folder named test and set the correct permissions on the folder. In this case my AD account that i will use with the Desktop client.

In the Desktop client i created a report (with a connection to a SQL database) and saved the file on disk.
    Everything is working fine until this moment.
    I can open the file with the client and execute te report.

Now when i try to save the report to the PowerBI Report Server (Save As > PowerBI report Server) i am getting a dialog stating: Error - Unexpected error encountered. I can only close this dialog.

Next thing i tried was if i was able to upload the report from disk to the folder on the Report server. I was able to do this.
    I can access the report on the Report server with my webbrowser and execute te report with no problems.

Then i tried to open the report (the one that was uploaded) with the desktop client and received the same error as earlier.
    Error - Unexpected error encountered

It doesn't look like a security issue.
    The problem is within the Desktop to Report Server.

Some help wil be appriciated.

greetings

Kick

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kick. I've reached out internally to try to find someone who can help with this. In the meantime, you might want to try posting this over on the Power BI Community site, as this doesn't sound like a Power Query issue.

Ehren

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:07 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren

Thanks for your response.

I agree on the fact that this issue can better be placed in the PowerBI Community.
    However, i am unable to do so. The want me to singin with a school or company account and not with my personal account.

Perhaps they only want people that have PowerBI licenses to able to post issues/questions.
    Thats understandable, but i am still in evaluation and dont have any licenses yet.

So, i simply cannot post any messages there.

greetings,

Kick

Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:11 PM
  • Hi there. Here's some info I received from someone on the Power BI Report Server team:

The issue is Power BI Desktop doesn’t support the ability to publish across domains – as his laptop and the server are probably not on the same domain, this would be the issue.

Let me know if this helps.

Ehren

Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:10 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ehren

Thank you for the answer.
    However, both the server and desktop client are part of the same domain.

greetings,

Kick

Monday, December 3, 2018 1:26 PM
  • You'll probably need to open a support case to investigate this further, or wait until the January release to see if it is resolved there, but it's usually the issue around going across domains where you see this issue occur.
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:51 PM