AD RMS and UAG/IAG RRS feed

• Question

• So sticking with the whole 'Unified' theme of UAG, has anyone attempted to publish RMS through UAG/IAG?  We are seeing significant interest in SharePoint IRM and UAG.  With extending SharePoint to the extranet becoming more common, protecting that information is a common concern for our clients.  With IRM coming to the rescue in these situations, we want to get the external RMS URLs published from the same point.

I've read the TechNet documentation on publishing RMS through ISA but it'd be nice to keep it all 'Unified' with UAG.  RMS isn't listed in the 'Supported Configurations' (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee522953.aspx) for using the TMG publishing functionality on the UAG server.

Has any one attempted this yet? If so, any helpful tips for publishing the web service to consume protected documents externally?  I'm thinking something along the lines of an application trunk with a custom login page, but don't really know where to start.

For the MSFT folks, are there any plans to create an RMS 'application optimizer'?
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    At this point, there are no plans to create an RMS template. With UAG being a new product, it may take some time for customers to start experimenting with such products, so I would suggest you post this question again in the future.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, December 28, 2009 5:37 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    At this point, there are no plans to create an RMS template. With UAG being a new product, it may take some time for customers to start experimenting with such products, so I would suggest you post this question again in the future.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, December 28, 2009 5:37 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Just out of curiousity I would imagine that if you're planning on implementing DirectAccess that the concept of the Extranet URL as far as AD RMS and "trusted machines" are concerned may be redundant. I've attempted setting up  RMS thru ISA directly and the sticking point has always been that the (step-by-step) solution always implies some sort of split DNS with your Extranet. Having said that, I don't see why you can't publish MOSS thru IAG/UAG as Sharepoint does the translation thru AAMs ..... does your RMS/MOSS solution work for Extranet URLs with ISA?

Regards,
    Mylo
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:27 PM