Sharepoint Restore Content DB RRS feed

• Question

• Sharepoint 2010 - I want to restore my prod webapp content database to my test environment using sqlserver tool.

if so do i need to restore farm configuration using Windows PowerShell ?

Appreciate any help

Thanks!

SPVIRU

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:33 PM

Answers

• No worries....When you create the content database from within Central admin, you need to make sure that you have the proper web application selected. (top right corner of that screen). As long as you used the same name that the database was restored as within SQL then it will make the association instead of creating a new database.

Let me know if that works...super simple so i shouldn't take long. If not, I actually don't mind showing you really quick. 

KS

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:17 PM

All replies

• If you just want to restore the content of a site collection within the web application then no. This is what I would suggest....

1. Create web application in test environment if you haven't already.

2. Backup the content database from prod SQL

3. Restore the database in test SQL (note the name of the database)

4. Access Central Admin > Application Management > Content Databases

5. Create a new content database with the exact name you used during the restore process.

6. Confirm: Central Admin > Application Management > Site Collection List (you should see the restored site collections)

Let me know if this is what you were attempting to do.

KS

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Thanks a lot.

hmmmm Actually prod web application has lot of sitecollections and sub sites in each..... so obviously webapplicaiton has X content db.

Now I want to restore compete Prod webapplicaiton(complete site collections and sub sites in it)  to new test enviorment web application.

So I want to back up webapp X contentdb and restore to testenviroment

So  can i do it ? Appreciate your help !!!

Thanks

SPVIRU

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Certainly. Once you backup and restore that contentdb all those site collections and corresponding subsites will be available.

KS

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:57 PM
  • thank you so much :) will perform the below steps as you suggested.

Create web application in test environment if you haven't already.

2. Backup the content database from prod SQL

3. Restore the database in test SQL (note the name of the database)

4. Access Central Admin > Application Management > Content Databases

5. Create a new content database with the exact name you used during the restore process.

6. Confirm: Central Admin > Application Management > Site Collection List (you should see the restored site collections)

SPVIRU

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:13 PM
  • sorry to ask you this one... how should i map my web application to newly restored content DB ?

Thanks!

SPVIRU

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:55 PM
  • No worries....When you create the content database from within Central admin, you need to make sure that you have the proper web application selected. (top right corner of that screen). As long as you used the same name that the database was restored as within SQL then it will make the association instead of creating a new database.

Let me know if that works...super simple so i shouldn't take long. If not, I actually don't mind showing you really quick. 

KS

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:17 PM
  • wow KS it worked ... Thanks a lot for your help...! 

Appreciate again :) 

SPVIRU

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:52 PM