newbie question - message distribution in exch 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

There is a generic alias email account set up on one of my users accounts called “info@company.ca“ that was created by someone else which I inherited.  What’s the best way in Exch 2007 to forward the messages that are send to that generic address to multiple recipients on this Exch 2007 server?   

I understand that if it’s in his email account it’s just going to go to him only as an alias address.  So how do you take that same address and send it to multiple people in the company, do I have to create a real account? 

As an example, there is a another real account on the server called hr@company.ca that is forwarded to one user only by setting the delivery option in mail flow tab for that HR account in its properties but since I don’t have the “info” account setup that same way do I need to create one?

And again, if I create a real account called “info” how can I forward it to more than one recipient? - a distribution group?  I've never made one.

Cheers'

Dave

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• You'll have to create a group and then mail-enable, but not an actual AD account that requires credentials to access it.  Once you do that, mail-enable per that doc and give it any SMTP address you like on the left side  of the @ and have the @domain.com set as your SMTP domain in Exchange or simply take the default and it will create an email address for you that is valid.

It will show up in the Address Book as well.

I would make it a universal distribution group.

• Marked as answer by Dave Cason 2 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:30 PM

All replies

• Yes, create a mail-enabled distribution group, add the required mail-enabled recipients and forward to that.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997448(v=exchg.80).aspx

How to Mail-Enable a Distribution Group
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Thanks Andy,

So do I have to create an actual email account on the server like the HR account is to do that or is there an option in the dist group to add a genaric alias to it?

I understand creating an email account named "test" and then forwarding that genaric account to one user via the delivery options in mial flow will get it to them, likewise I know that if I create an alias SMTP address in a users account in his EMail Address tab they'll get that mail as well.

It's just the process of taking a genaric alias address and getting it to multiple people I haven't done yet.  So to do that - it has to be done with a dist group.  That makes sence.

So is it a safe assumption that it has to be a real address in the Recip Config / Mailbox or can I make something like a Mail Non-Universal Group like I see here as well?

Cheers'

Dave 

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:16 PM
  • You'll have to create a group and then mail-enable, but not an actual AD account that requires credentials to access it.  Once you do that, mail-enable per that doc and give it any SMTP address you like on the left side  of the @ and have the @domain.com set as your SMTP domain in Exchange or simply take the default and it will create an email address for you that is valid.

It will show up in the Address Book as well.

I would make it a universal distribution group.

• Marked as answer by Dave Cason 2 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:30 PM