Windows 8 CPU Overheating RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 8 running on my HP DV6 laptop with i7 2670qm, and switchable graphics with ATI 7670XT with the latest drivers.

I am experiencing my CPU overheating in Windows 8 on idle, running about 7C hotter than in Windows 7, causing my fans to always turn on. It also has random spikes to 60C for no reason, just browsing the internet. 

Anyone else experiencing this issue? I also noticed slow scrolling on a page with .gifs on it, where as in Windows 7 it was smooth like butter.

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

• Folow Andre's suggestion and check the vents and CPU thermal paste.  MY Inspiron runs 7 and win 8 at the same same temp (45C @100% load) because I just stripped it and blew it out with compressed air, re-installed the thermal paste, and installed a cooling pad.

The higher the load the hotter a computer will run and win 8 has more processes hence more load.  Inspirons are notorious for heat related issues under load (both the 1405, and the 1525)

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 5, 2012 3:36 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 10:34 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same use, what even happens to me is that my laptop is automatically hibernating to prevent overheating
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Which powerplan do you use? Balanced or High performance? Select balanced and check again.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • facing the same problem with Windows 8 on my Dell Inspiron 1525. Overheating and automatic shutdown. Windows 7 was working perfectly alright.
    Friday, November 2, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Folow Andre's suggestion and check the vents and CPU thermal paste.  MY Inspiron runs 7 and win 8 at the same same temp (45C @100% load) because I just stripped it and blew it out with compressed air, re-installed the thermal paste, and installed a cooling pad.

The higher the load the hotter a computer will run and win 8 has more processes hence more load.  Inspirons are notorious for heat related issues under load (both the 1405, and the 1525)

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 5, 2012 3:36 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Having the exact same problem with Windows 8 Pro overheating my ASUS-UX21E laptop and shutting down. Running in balanced mode under power options. Microsoft may not be aware of this issue.

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:21 PM
  • I am also having the same problem after upgrading my Lenovo T500 to windows 8. My computer just shut down with no warning and I could tell it was from the heat.  After waiting 10 minutes, blowing the heat-sink and fans with compressed air and rebooting, I was still at 86 degrees Centigrade on one core and 81 on the other.

Bentley College

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:49 PM
  • which power plan do you use? Is the system cooler policy set to "active"?

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi all,

Just to give my experience: my XPS 13 (upgraded to W8) was overheating and shutting itself down. Now that I am running only on batteries, the problem appears to be resolved. This is obviously still an issue that Microsoft has to deal with, because having a laptop running on AC power should not cause a power failure. But, in the short run, try running your laptops on battery ONLY. See if that doesn't let you guys finish your term papers (etc.), which was my problem.

Joe

• Proposed as answer by jlgrab2 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:03 PM
    • Edited by jlgrab2 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:03 PM
  • JLgrab2

Generally speaking the thread starter (or a mod) proposes and marks an answer.  You generally dont mark your own post as "proposed as an answer"  I figured since you havent posted much someone should tell you.

Just an FYI

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:30 PM
  • please stop asking to check the fan and cpu paste. I have the same problem on fujitsu t901 with warnings in the event viewer about it. never had the problem with win7 and I noticed it a few days after upgrading to win 8.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 4:36 PM
  • TheRichman

While yours may not be fan or CPU, the thread starter may in fact be.  We have to give the most logical answer to what they ask.  BTW there is no known issue with win 8 as you describe.  Would you like us to take a look at your event viewer logs?

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Event viewer log is here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4271B130173A4F62!3754

see 12-9 10:53, 12-8 5:18, and a few others with event id 37

Monday, December 10, 2012 4:11 AM
  • TR
    Obviously you need a BIOS update to stop the event 37's.  You also have massive Skydrive problems (in fact hundreds)

Issues with the Gigabit driver. (e1cexpress) These issues are causing the computer time to be unable to be set.

Other normal issues with connectivity (DNS, etc)

No mention of either a heat related crash, thermal event, no anything else resembling one.

I can but assume the core limiting may be what is driving up cpu use, and memory causing heat.  If I had a DMP file I could both tell you what version and date the Bios was and ACPI.SYS driver.

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:36 AM
  • I have Windows 8 running on my HP DV6 laptop with i7 2670qm, and switchable graphics with ATI 7670XT with the latest drivers.

Are the switchable graphics working or are both chips running all the time?

C.f.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video-e-g/I-upgraded-to-Windows-8-How-do-I-get-switchable-graphics-to-work/m-p/2213275#M59120

---

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:50 PM

• See here for files mentioned below:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4271B130173A4F62!350

1. "Obviously you need a BIOS update to stop the event 37's."
    This was a clean Win 8 install with all new Win 8 64 bit specific drivers provided by Fujitsu installed including the latest BIOS.

From Speccy:
    Mfg/Model: FUJITSU/FJNB231 (Onboard)
    Chipset Vendor/Model: Intel/Sandy Bridge
    Chipset Revision: 09
    Southbridge Vendor/Model/Revision: Intel/QM67/04
    BIOS Brand: FUJITSU // Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    Version: 1.06, Date: 4/16/2012

2. "You also have massive Skydrive problems (in fact hundreds)"
    See the thread below. I don't think it's causing the CPU to overheat.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/skydrive-wlsettings/session-skydrivesessionname-failed-to-start-with/8454be88-5c95-4204-95cf-2eac6cfb0d2d?tab=mysubscriptions#tabs

3. "Issues with the Gigabit driver. (e1cexpress) These issues are causing the computer time to be unable to be set."
    The device is used both wirelessly and LAN connected. These Warnings could simply be when the device goes into sleep mode by itself or when the cover is shut. As Warnings I'll assume they're not causing the CPU to overheat.

4. "No mention of either a heat related crash, thermal event, no anything else resembling one."

...no idea why not other than indicating Win 8 and the CPU/Fans/BIOS/drivers are not communicating properly.

"I can but assume the core limiting may be what is driving up cpu use, and memory causing heat."

See Win8-CPU-Temps.pdf which shows the timeline related to a windows defender quick scan starting at 10:39am, the temp hitting 89C at 10:40 and then core limiting events being written at 10:41. It looks more like the core limiting is trying to respond to the CPU running too hot and not causing the problem as you suggest.

"If I had a DMP file I could both tell you what version and date the Bios was and ACPI.SYS driver."

Not sure this helps but the \system32\acpi.sys properties say product version 6.2.9200.16420, 9/20/2012, 415KB.

I also put a mini-dump file out there. Not sure if if it's related to or will shed any light on the CPU Temp issue as they pre-date the time I noticed the CPU Temp issue. The few times since I've been watching the temp, the device will simply freeze and requires a power off/on - no event log entries other than "last shutdown was unexpected" upon reboot and no .dmp file created.

When I have time I'll call Fujitsu and report back any results - it could of course be buggy Fujitsu drivers but I've seen others (here and otherwise) with the same issue on different devices so who knows.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:58 PM
  • The higher the load the hotter a computer will run and win 8 has more processes hence more load. 

That's exactly backwards.  Windows 7 has many more processes running to just start up than Windows 8.  Where did you get the idea Windows 8 has more processes running?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:34 AM
  • My Laptop is less than year old but even with the new Windows 8 drivers that have been supplied along with updated bios the problem is still there. Have made many adjustments; CPU, fan speeds, etc. Checking the message boards this problem goes as far back to March 2012 Consumer Preview. Guarantee Microsoft by now is aware of the issue but what are they doing to fix it?

Every Microsoft operating system that has been released there has always been some type driver issue with older PC’s. You think by now with the release of Windows 8 Microsoft would have learned from past mistakes and worked all these issues out.

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:38 AM
  • All you need to do is to see which one of the programs is using greater amount of processes. The next step is to terminate that process. This applies to all the people who have this problem. This is how I did it and my computer took a sigh of relief then. I Installed a program called Tune Up Utility to fix it. There is a tab in the program which says 'fix problems'. There is a place called 'Manage Processes and show system information' where you see two buttons. Just choose the first one where it opens up 'Tuneup process manager'. Here you can see the programs and the processes and the usage of the CPU. Just terminate the process which is using up much of the CPU. My problem was 'explorer.exe' which was responsible for 51% of the CPU usage. I terminated it and my computer is now as good as before.  
    Friday, January 18, 2013 4:59 PM
  • All you need to do is to see which one of the programs is using greater amount of processes. The next step is to terminate that process. This applies to all the people who have this problem. This is how I did it and my computer took a sigh of relief then. I Installed a program called Tune Up Utility to fix it. There is a tab in the program which says 'fix problems'. There is a place called 'Manage Processes and show system information' where you see two buttons. Just choose the first one where it opens up 'Tuneup process manager'. Here you can see the programs and the processes and the usage of the CPU. Just terminate the process which is using up much of the CPU. My problem was 'explorer.exe' which was responsible for 51% of the CPU usage. I terminated it and my computer is now as good as before.  
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:03 PM
  • All you need to do is to see which one of the programs is using greater amount of processes.  

My idle temp is around 50C which I believe is too high. Idle meaning less than 3-5% CPU so I don't believe the issue is related to an errant process.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Hello, I also have this problem with my dv6-3065ea
    Here is my Errors log. maybe you could advise?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4979BB4423915F66!263&authkey=!AFFiMfLoqadZ-d8

Regards,

Barry

Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:32 PM
  • I have the same heating problem. Everything was well till there was window7 in my laptop( HP dv6). But after upgrading it to window8 it's heating a lot. I also checked bios, and i found it is already latest version.  Please suggest me:  

Here is my skydrive Link for Event viewer log file:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B0C6B24171F21000!107 

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:15 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with Windows 8 Pro (along with temporary freezing issue too): my acer aspire suddenly goes off, or sometimes goes to sleep. It doesn't happen with Linux on the same system.
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:13 AM
  • What I did was to turn the windows defender, my laptop was topping 64c just browsin internet, so I´ve opened up resources monitor and see that windows defender was taking 40% of my processor, so I´ve turned it off.

I hope it works for you too.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:16 PM
  • What I did was to turn the windows defender, my laptop was topping 64c just browsin internet, so I´ve opened up resources monitor and see that windows defender was taking 40% of my processor, so I´ve turned it off.

I hope it works for you too.

There's a great idea - turn off your anti-malware protection to browse the internet!  Why didn't I think of that?

Seriously, that's a bad idea unless you have another anti-malware solution on the job - for example Avast! free antivirus (which is the package I use and recommend).

Don't surf unprotected.

-Noel

Saturday, June 1, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Defender sucks. Here is what I get when I scroll in Explorer:

I killed defender and use NOD32 and everything is fine.

Sunday, June 2, 2013 6:45 AM
    Answerer
  • windows 8 overheating causing system to shut off
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:12 AM
  • windows 8.1 also making my system to overheat

I have a desktop, changed the thermal paste, cooler is clean and working fine, i notice that the temperature rises very quickly from 34º on idle to 57º almost 60º in less than 30 sec, and it never did this only after windows 8.1, i can only prevent him to overheat by lowering the CPU core voltage he still starts to heat but stops at 48º and no i havent overclock my system only working as normal but i had to lower 0.1V on core processint just to prevent him to overheat

Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:35 PM
  • which power plan do you use? Do you see a process which hogs the CPU?

Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:12 PM
    Answerer
  • There's a decent little hardware monitoring utility that will give you feedback about whether your processors are entering low power states, and will show your temperatures...

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

-Noel

Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:20 AM
  • There's a decent little hardware monitoring utility that will give you feedback about whether your processors are entering low power states, and will show your temperatures...

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

use this tool, it is completely free:

CPU Temp, Fan Speeds, Mainboard Voltages, GPU Sensors and Hard Disk Temperatures of a PC

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:07 AM
    Answerer
  • So is the one I mentioned (free).  You need not buy the "Pro" version.  I never paid anything for the one that generated the screen grab I showed above.

Are there advantages to Open Hardware Monitor?  I see it shows fan speeds, but HWMonitor shows individual processor power consumption and UPS data, and the processor power consumption directly bears on this thread.

Anyway, thanks for the link; I will try out Open Hardware Monitor, but based on what you're showing it appears there may be advantages to each.  Nothing keeps one from running both as needed.

-Noel

Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Okay, I've tried it.  It's a neat tool, but Open Hardware Monitor doesn't show as many useful things as HWMonitor for me.  While interesting, and a similar presentation to HWMonitor, it doesn't show the main system fans for my Dell Precision T5500 (maybe I'll look into modifying the sources to fix that at some point).  Neither sees into my SSD array, which is not terribly surprising.

Another tool for the stable.

-Noel

Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:58 PM
  • i use balanced power plan 
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:36 AM
  • The problem is windows OS. I have tried windows 7, 8, or 8.1 on my MacBook and all kinds of methods I could find on the web. My laptop is still hot like crazy. This overheating issue is software flaws and has nothing to do with how dirty your fan is. There is no such issue when I run Mac OS. 

Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:54 AM
  • No, the problem is the drivers.

Do you really expect the writers of Windows system drivers for Mac to want to make Windows run in a well-integrated fashion on it?  Think about it.

Methinks you'll need to buy a laptop built for Windows to get that kind of integration.

-Noel

Sunday, November 3, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Yeah same issue. It happens with my surface pro too. If I stop using it some process fires up and cooks my machine. It's completely screwed my tablet battery. What the hell is it doing? I can only assume it's some kind of scan?

shaun

Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Consider disabling indexing.   Also review the scheduled maintenance tasks.

-Noel

Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:54 PM
  • I am facing the Same Problem ..... :(

Windows 8.1 requires many updates for the laptop users....
    Monday, July 7, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Hey, I was having same Problem but its solved

so, what I did is uninstalled the synaptic pointer device driver and did a hard reset(remove battery and hold power button for 15 seconds).

now restart the laptop ....... it will work fine.

Plz let me know if it worked for You or not.

My laptop is HP-DV6 7040tx.
    Monday, July 7, 2014 4:59 PM