none
Office 365 and PIN RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I have Windows 10 Pro computers integrated into Office 365 Azure AD, so my users log in to their computers using their O365 accounts.  Windows 10 forces you to set a PIN, which frankly I don't care for, but not a big deal I suppose. 

Except, the users are exclusively using their PIN to log in, and they completely forget their Office 365 passwords because every client and service they use with office 365, be it the internet browser or the outlook and skype clients gives them every opportunity to save their password, which I also frankly don't care for.

I understand Microsoft wants to move away from passwords (puzzles me), but in the meantime, every time users need to reset their expired passwords, they need help because they can't remember what they typed in 90 days ago.

I understand this may appear to be a 'user problem', but the technology seems to be steering users into these traps, where instead of challenging them appropriately, it continuously makes it easier for them to turn off their brains until they run into trouble. 

Long story short, what's a good strategy to 1. disable PIN (if recommended) 2. live with PIN?

Thanks.

Monday, July 8, 2019 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you prefer a strong protection strategy, we recommend to keep PIN on. PIN is associate with the local hardware device, if the user use multiple devices with password, it would be easy to steal password and logon user account. However, you can't use that PIN anywhere except on that specific device. 

A password is transmitted to the server-- it can be intercepted in transmission or stolen from a server. A PIN is local to the device -- it isn't transmitted anywhere and it isn't stored on the server. 

For more information, please go to:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-why-pin-is-better-than-password

As the advantage of PIN is more than inconvenient in your environment, we should keep to use PIN.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:14 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result.
    If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Bests,

Monday, July 29, 2019 1:47 AM